Saturday 19 November 2022

My wettest ramble since the last time I was here.....Meall Doire Faid

 Hill: Meall Doire Faid (Hill of the prophet's grove)

Type: Graham

Height: 729m

This trip has had its problems and today added to that list.

Firstly, the weather has been awful and I tossed and turned last night listening to the rain thundering off the roof. The forecast was for a positive change by lunchtime so after reviewing options I decided to go for this Graham.

Earlier this year I had hoped to bag it with Enaiglair on an ADRC outing but the weather gods changed our plans. There has been so much rain that I did not fancy the steep grassy ascent to the summit we planned for that day. The map showed a better option by continuing to the lochs where a more gradual ascent was possible.

Bleak start

I sat in my car at the start at Braemore Junction as the rain thumped down, remember this from the last time as well. This seemed silly but there was a patch of blue sky to the north. Optimistically I got changed and put the batteries into my GPS but when switched on it indicated low battery, surprised as they had been charged, one of them might be a dud.

Luckily the spare pair worked but how much battery life was in these?

I was following the descent track from last time so had a familiarity, but all the tracks were flowing like burns. Water was cascading from everywhere. I came across a foot wide trench, put my walking stick in right up the handle and it had not touched the bottom!! Great care required.

I reached the Home Loch but I suspected that I was lower down and nearer the loch than I remembered from last time. Tracks across the moor had disappeared. 

This cross moor was a very wet romp, before I reached a raging burn, no way crossing this. I remembered a bridge from the last trip and finally found this. I seemed to remember something more substantial but maybe I am wrong.

The clouds still intensely grey and the blue sky long gone, indeed rain and wind of varying intensity was with me until I got back to this bridge on the descent.


Heading for the top behind the waterfall
I followed the wet track up to the Bealach nam Buthan enjoying walking alongside the raging burn and the waterfall more ferocious than last time.

The Bealach

Crossed strip in middle and up the flank from there

Jinx 2. I took a photo of the lochs when my phone said there was water in the port and was shutting down to prevent damage!! No more snaps as with the wet weather I had not brought my digital. I have ruined too many of them. At least GPS still working.

The map showed a wide strip between the lochs but the reality was it was much narrower albeit no issue to cross.

The gradient was what I expected from the map. Grassy but not steep enough to have a dangerous slip. I had advised the good lady of my route beforehand, but still in these conditions! Any small crags were easily avoided. The only downside was that I had now turned into the direct wind and rain. Head down, watching the rain drip off my hood, a steady 20 minutes, roughly 100M climb, got me to the ridge and along to the top and the cairn. High winds, cloud covered and wet not the best top I have been on but another bagged.

Taking no chances I returned exactly the same way. As I reached Home Loch I heard a familiar noise, was I right. Yip a roaring stag soon followed by at least another two. I reckon two of them were close to where I had been 20 minutes ago but the 3rd was much further away. Something to smile about.

I got back to the car and changed just as the rain came again, for once fortunate timing.

Ascent: 580m

Distance: 12.5km

Time: 4.05

Wildlife: Roaring Stags (1st of the year); Meadow Pipit; Kestrel; Siskin flock 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment