Thursday 10 November 2022

WHW.....Crianlarich - Tyndrum

Walk: West Highland Way

Section: Crianlarich - Tyndrum



Woke up to the sound of rain battering the window, not exactly what I wanted to hear. The forecast was to be grim all morning, high winds all day so no high tops today.

As the afternoon was for showers, I decided to get the train to Crianlarich and walk back to Tyndrum via the West Highland Way. Short train journey, but it was packed and humid, the chances of Covid?

As always, the hard bit is finding the start. Crianlarich is a fair bit off the official WHW according to my map. I headed down to the Post Office where I found a tourist map/board. Back up to the station and follow the Drovers Loop which should connect to the WHW. Good but where is this trail at the station. Turns out you go through a tunnel, head up a flight of steps and there is a marker. 

I did not have a map and had not looked at the route beforehand, so I was surprised at how much elevation is gained so quickly and how high above the road the track goes. Still plenty of peace and quiet, only bumped into two people until Dalrigh area.

After a lung bursting ascent from Crianlarich this is what greets you

Typical scenery

I love the moss on top of the rock, a small croft!!

Spotted this unusual plant, Heath Speedwell my app says



Hill middle right one of the Corbetts that was Plan A
There has been much deforestation, but I suppose it does open up the views. Up and down the track goes. I spotted movement on a tree branch, quickly disappearing. I was certain it was not a squirrel which only left a Pine Martin, if so, that would have been my first ever sighting but not conclusive enough.


River in full flow

Just one reason for this being an amazing country
Out of the woods and across the road to the ancient historical ruins at the Fillan's priory and graveyard. As I was looking about the farmer drove into his yard with a trailer. All hell let loose. I assume it was a bull and the noise it was making it was far from happy. I made a quick movement to get through the farmyard gate.

A pleasant stroll then back across the road again for the the final few miles to Tyndrum. I spoke to a Swedish woman with her three daughters. The youngest one looked at her mother and said, 'this is so beautiful'. Despite the poor weather it was a reminder to remember what we have in Scotland.

So, an afternoon of showers and very high wind gusts. When I reached Tyndrum it was just too cold in that wind. But remember the wee girl, no complaining. On a cold day the reward had to be a fish supper at the Real Food Cafe. A good ramble.

Ascent: 391m

Distance: 12.2km

Time: 2.52

Wildlife: Coal Tit; Chaffinch; Blackbird; Swallow; Sand Martin;


No comments:

Post a Comment