Sunday 8 September 2024

Rough and rugged but not a big hill.....Meall Mor (Moy)

Hill: Meall Mor (Moy)

Type: Sub2k

Height: 492m



I took another opportunity to take a break from driving and tick off a Sub2k which I knew started only 5 minutes off the A9.

I had read that there was a track going through some quarries to get to the base of the hill. I had not realised how extensive the quarrying is around here, it is big business.


As I got ready I noticed a butterfly in plants beside me, a Ringlet, my first of the year but you could almost count on one hand the different butterflies that I have seen, this poor summer has been a disaster for them.


The quality of the road I walked up told me that the quarrying in business is profitable, please could my street at home be as good as this?

House Martins were doing fly pasts over the ponds at the quarry, also present on the water Common Gull and Barnacle Geese.

The track became much rougher but still a construction track as I could see another large quarry ahead. It was humid and I had a bit of a sweat on, not often I have said that this year.


Long zoom shot

The views north were opening out as I climbed. A big raptor caught my eye, thought it was too big for a buzzard, zoomed in Golden Eagle confirmed.


First view

Skylark

End of track

Redpoll

The track turns round a heads south. Much deforestation and new planting all around me.

I saw someone ahead at a pick up truck, assumed it was a gamekeeper but I was wrong. He was an open ground spotter, nope I had no idea either. He was up here twice a month for 6 hours a day to record any species he sees. Yip information required, funded by a turbine company, there are already a few around so expect more as he had not seen much to record and not the Goldie.


Rough moorland bog hopping

After the track ends it is a short cross country hop. I knew it was a bit rough but in a scale of 10 this was a 10. The usual moorland of heather, bog and tussocks. But the area had been holed for tree planting but no planting carried out, presumably because of the proposed wind farm. Most of these holes were covered over by the natural growth so it was a case of slowly moving the feet, anchoring the poles and repeat, extreme care being taken as the poles did go down a long way at times. Had it been a longer crossing I would have passed as this was not a lot of fun especially as the flies buzzing me were growing in number.


The target nearest the hill

There were a couple of wooden boards planted which the spotter told me were notices for deer shooting. There was nothing on either board and the spotter said he had never seen a deer up here.

I found what I thought was an ATV track but it turned out to be a water course. Slightly easier walking so I followed it up to the flat area top of Meall Mor. Oddly the tree holes were more numerous up here so no let up. I did see some fresh deer tracks in the mud but there cannot be many of them.


Looking over the Moray Firth

Decent views from the cairn particularly north over Inverness and onward to the Ullapool & Torridon hills in the far distance. Of course the A9, I had forgotten how close I was to this, the traffic noise had been hidden.


Back the same way and for some reason the rough ground appeared more difficult but 25 minutes after leaving the top I was chatting with Mr Spotter.


Purple poppy don't think that I have seen one before

This we have in our garden

Returned the same way. At one of the quarries colour caught my eye and I saw some beautiful flowers growing through the stones. Some poppies that have either been seeded by the birds or were there in situ when the quarry started its operations. Nature surviving our destruction.

Overall an interesting and different short ramble. Although I am sure that my footsteps will never step on Meall Mor again.

Ascent: 352m

Distance: 8.01k

Time: 3.01

Wildlife: Redpoll; Golden Eagle; Common Gull; Meadow Pipit; House Martin; Common Blue; Reed Bunting; Skylark; Siskin;

No comments:

Post a Comment