Sunday 8 September 2024

Three Munros, nae views, a grey day.....Creag Meadaidh circuit

Hill: Carn Liath (1006m) (Grey Hill); Stob Poite Coire Ardair (1054m) (Peak of the pot of the high corrie); Creag Meadaidh (1128m) (Bogland Rock)

Type: Munro x 3



When I was compiling my original list of 100 Munros this circuit was on that list but for whatever reason was not part of the completed 100. Having achieved my target I was ticking off some of those hills that were on the original list. Now it is not about numbers but rather about walking hills that I really want to do.

Last night when I looked at the forecast I considered aborting as it was to be fog and very poor visibility from low levels covering all day. But this morning it hag changed to fog at higher levels and mist from lunchtime onward. Okay lets do it. Apologies not many snaps as the conditions up top were grey and more grey.

The parking area was already pretty full when I met up with my walking buddies. Some I knew including Gillian from my hometown and other groups walking companion. From here the cloud level looked to be around the 700m level, fingers crossed that it would rise. Nobody was late so a prompt start.



Clouds still lower than I hoped

We decided to go clockwise and get the biggest out of the way first which meant ascending the scree/boulder field rather than the more awkward descent.


Beautiful setting for the Lochan a Choire

A gentle rising gradient took about an hour to reach the Lochan a’ Choire and the mightily impressive rock cliffs of Coire Ardair. These are huge and considered to be the 2nd best winter climbing routes in Scotland, 2nd only to Ben Nevis. A privilege to see them close up.


Looks a lot flatter in the snap than it did on the day

Next was the awkward section up through the scree and boulders to the bealach ‘The Window’. On off track and lots of hands on light scrambling up the steep slopes. The weather had not improved but rather deteriorated so outer layers donned in the drizzle and cloud.


Looking above wild landscape

Across the plateau and the final climb to Creag Meadaidh, we had not followed the track in the photo

From the bealach it is another steep section to get to the plateau. Thankfully it was softer grass up top and about 1.5km of flat walking to the summit, bypassing the false cairn which is bigger than the real one. A short steep slope and Creag Meadaidh was reached. Munro number 1 and just over 3 hours.


Back to the bealach and you can see back to the lochan

Reversed back along the plateau, the descent to the bealach seemed longer and steeper for some reason. Then the short stiff pull up to the 2nd Munro of Stob Poite Coire Ardair. That did not seem to long and included a food break.




Now it was an undulating plateau walk to number three. The feel good factor of ticking of number 2 so quickly kind of diminished as there was just over 4km to walk along the plateau. Typical of a high plateau it was a mixture of grass and boulder sections making for easier and tougher walking. Not so good for good pacing.


Starting final descent towards Loch Laggan

On the descent a view back across to the lochan higher ground still in the clouds

Finally we were there with a brief weather window to see back to ‘The Window’ but overall a very disappointing viewing day.

For me the hardest part of the walk was this descent. It was steep and a knee was beginning to hurt. The track became a narrow muddy gloop fest and one heel slip left me with a nice covering of black dirty peat mud but at least I had kept on my over trousers so my main gear was protected for the car journey, others were not so fortunate.

Near the bottom it became a well constructed stone section which was great but no kinder on my knees.

Overall I was pleased that I did the circuit and if I had been bagging for the 100 I would have taken the day and its weather conditions. But, as these are now ‘for me’ trips, the lack of views were disappointing, but that is just another part of this crap Scottish summer.

Ascent: 1248m

Distance: 22.48

Time: 8.06

Wildlife: Common Frog; Hooded crow; House Martins;



No comments:

Post a Comment