Sunday 23 April 2017

Ben Lomond a tourist hill but still a worthy walk

With the weather improving (ha-ha) it has been an opportunity to get some bigger hills under my belt. Last night the weather forecast indicated a clear morning, possibly clouding up later. So I was away from the house for 7.15am for my 60 odd mile drive to Ben Lomond, today’s objective. This is a Munro category hill with a height of 974 metres, my biggest climb of the year.
The hill is probably the 2nd most popular after Ben Nevis so the car park at Rowardennan had a few cars parked up already but by 8.20 I was on my way. £3 parking charge but at least the loos are free.
I stop at the info board which has a QR mobile phone code scanner app which amongst other things lists the 32 main peaks you can see from the summit. Great idea but sods law it would not connect to my phone.

Head through the visitor block, basic loos available, and compared to last weeks Corbett the climbing starts immediately. A couple of sections of wooded area and then you break out onto the moor.
At the 1st gate a cyclist is coming down the rocky path, he shouted that the weather was good up top, had he been there or just cycling the West Highland Way track, intriguing as I breathed heavily? Within 10 minutes jacket off it seems warm, well I was sweating already.


The well constructed path reminds me of Goatfell, large step up boulders which I know my thighs will tell me about tomorrow.
In these conditions the track is easy to follow and with the clear air you get good views of the early walkers making their way up.
As always I breath harder in the early stages improving once I get my 2nd wind. I pass some early starters on the climb even with my stops for snaps and taking in the view. Enjoy not endure is important. For me head down, small steps keep going.


Once the flatter stretch is reached there are good views of the Cobbler and other Arrochar hills as well as the Ben ahead. The walking is now less stressful but you are still climbing.
Some runners are coming towards me as they descend, not even in my heyday could I run up these.


The northerly wind is now being felt so jacket back on and also time for nourishment. I can see the winding trail on the final third and pleased that I am getting there and feeling within reason ok. Looking west there is a weather front engulfing tops which I am presuming are around Tyndrum. Hope it misses me.


A bit more heavy breathing and lots of sweat but the final section is good and the summit is achieved. I had not looked at my GPS gear on the way up and I was surprised the ascent had taken only 2 hours 12 minutes, delighted that it was quicker than I expected. Near the top I note that on a bad weather day the drops into the eastern corrie, on your right off the path as you ascend, could be deadly. But the crags are mightily impressive.


Up top on a day like this the views are simply breathtaking, Scotland at its absolute best, but what I could have done with that app to name all of these hills. A few I know or can guess but not 32. Still take it all in and enjoy. For the full 360 degrees there is something interesting to look at not the least Loch Lomond and its islands.


But not for long as the cold wind means sudden pain in my fingers, gloves on and time for the descent. Today it is by the same route as I am doing the Ptarmigan descent in a couple of months, save that experience for then.
On the way down the hill is getting busier and busier and surprise, surprise the dress sense of some bewilders. Not just their clothes but the footwear. There will be some very cold and sore walkers if they get to the top.


There quite a few Japanese around, at least active and not sitting on a bus, but where do they go at night, you see them during the day but night?
Enjoyed the descent and back at a now full car park, cars cruising waiting for a space, maybe also someone giving them their ticket.


A great day but quicker than expected, distance walked 8.02 miles which took me 4 hours 19 minutes. The runners probably did it in a quarter of the time. Height climbed 3081 ft or 939 metres.

No comments:

Post a Comment