Saturday 29 April 2017

Forth & Clyde Union Canal Falkirk - Linlithgow

I am absolutely delighted to have finished my last leg of this long distance trail. I have been lax in getting to it but this morning I woke early, Mrs was away, and decided to get it done. 45 minutes after deciding I was on my way to catch my first train of the day, yes I did shower. 
An hour and a half later I was at Falkirk High railway station which is right on the canal, ideal for my start, except it was raining, this was not on any weather app.
Tunnel entrance
Turn left at the canal and you are immediately and into arguably the most interesting part of the walk. Ahead of you is the ‘Falkirk tunnel’, 630 metres of a narrow, dark walk with water dripping and dropping all around, particularly today with the rain on. It was the longest canal tunnel built as the landowner did not want to see it from the house. 

The canal, millennium funding, is lit and the lights create some amazing images and reflections in the water. The sound of dripping water, the darkness how atmospheric and interesting is this? What a brilliant start. About half way along I spot someone looking into the tunnel at the far end but they never appeared and when I exited no sign of them and no exit path!!

The terrain is typical suburban canal side walking and not a lot to note except some suburban roe deer feeding in daylight, 2 bucks and a doe. They were on alert, watching me closely, but still rare to see so open in daylight.

Then just ahead I spot a barge heading this way, yippee. My winter strolls saw none of them, are they not what the canal is all about. Indeed 3 went by on the walk, and I even overtook one at Polmont, I know they go slowly but that is ridiculous.
Prison walls
Soon you reach Polmont and not so free are the prisoners of Polmont young offenders prison. Some of the top floor barred windows overlook the big Tesco store (easy for stocking up on refreshments), I wonder if the prisoners want to see every day activity. 
Now away from Polmont there is more open country and it is a pleasant walk. Many more cyclists around today and interesting how few warn you when coming up behind, as a cyclist myself this is not good enough.

I watch a heron which was one of the fearless ones. Although across the water they usually fly away when a human nears but not this one. It wasn’t even hunting maybe enjoying an earlier meal.

Next I come across a barge docking area, smoke puffing out a couple of them, heating will be required if you are living on them and then reach the Avon viaduct, which is apparently the longest and tallest in Scotland. The views looking down were impressive, the River Avon in flow, a picture perfect mixed wood and views across to the huge railway viaduct. 


Almost in Linlithgow now and I come across a rather barren rocky field full of cows, almost non existent grazing and most of the cows lying around. Then I realised that they mostly looked pregnant and then spotted a calf lying beside its mother. I thought the calf was dead and only through the binoculars could I see an ear flicker weakly, very newly born I assume.  I thought I was going to see a birth as the next cow's rear faced me and a calf started to emerge but the cow then lay down on its side breathing heavily and the calf disappeared back inside, not yet time. Many more of the cows seemed ready to deliver. I always assumed a farmer would be on hand to aid calving but not in this case. I cannot make judgement as I do not have the knowledge but this field & herd just did not leave me with a good feeling.

On a more positive note Linlithgow golf club is across the water. I have fond memories as I was a member here for three years and the 17th hole in particular was a favourite, A par 3 played from high up towards the canal with a big drop off. Many a ball of mine ran down that slope into the water. Good memories.

Almost there and the amount of housing has increased substantially since I lived there many years ago. I now get a good view of Linlithgow Palace, family have been christened and married in there. It was not deliberate but on reflection this was the most apt place to end this long trail, excellent memories and reflections of both the journey and my own history.
Despite the more optimistic forecast today was a cold easterly wind and a few light showers. Distance was 9.39 miles in 3 hours.
A superb walk that I would encourage anyone to do.
Now that celebratory beer.



No comments:

Post a Comment