Sunday 16 April 2017

Creag Bheag not quite the runt of the litter

When you look up at Creag Bheag from Kingussie your immediate reaction would be to look at the map for something higher meaning better. It does not impress, it is not love at first sight, it looks like the runt of the litter, the ugly duckling. But dismiss this hill and you are going to miss some really fab views for little effort. Pick the right one as the OS map has a few hills of the same name in close proximity.
Creag Bheag & Loch Gynack
I was looking for a quick hit, whilst the good lady walked over to Ruthven barracks, and yet again the book ‘The Hughs’ provided another gem.
Definitely cooler than yesterday and the Cairngorms had a new dusting of snow. Forecast was for the odd shower in the morning, grey but okay.
We parked in the Ardvonie car park which is free. There are toilets for a 20p charge but one guy tried them and walked away, maybe too early.
I opted to walk from the left side of the car park (beside the loos), clockwise but it is a circuit and the anti clockwise is a bit more climbing effort if you want that, and followed the western road for almost three quarters of a mile.

Camera would not focus in time
It is a tarmac road with a lot of stunning traditional properties and the bonus of a red squirrel which was obviously used to people as it did not flee to far. Mrs B ecstatic that she got up early to see it.
We parted and I headed up the easy to follow track through a wooded area with sheep grazing, keeping a wary eye for my nemesis hill cattle but none to be seen. One buzzard came silently out of the woods to my right closely followed by a second. They quickly disappeared but I could hear their call along with the crows no doubt mobbing them.
Not long at all and you see crags and a bench. Looking back it is a grand view to Newtonmore. Just after you meet the more direct track from the car park and continue up the good stony track, quite muddy to the sides but no issue today.
I am approaching the summit when I spot a bird above, at first I thought it was one of the buzzards but even better a single golden eagle. I watched it make slow circles, at one point it closed in and the feet dropped, mighty talons showing clearly, and I thought a prey dive was on but no it just continued to circle on a thermal, climbing higher and higher until I could see it no more disappearing into the interior of the Monadhliath range. Still that was good.
Far to my right I spot a flash of yellow, focus and two climbers are about to abseil, yellow helmet goes first, then they are gone.

Nearing the top I can see that there are two cairns. I went first to the one on the right which I think was the top cairn but just in case walked across to the other.
Cairn with Kingussie below
All in just 48 minutes from the car park to here and what views. A full 360 degree perspective. This is a spot to spend some time. The wind was cold and I spot another walker at another cairn over to my right. I walk on but as I approach he walks away, strange but obviously wanted no company not even a chat.
Handy windbreak
It turned out that the structure was a stone wind break very welcome as its angle today was full protection. Time to sit, have a drink and an orange and simply enjoy the view. Despite the greyness of the day you still can’t beat it.
The track down is well looked after, constructed with large stones. Mrs B’s knees would have felt it but for me it was good.

The tracks on Carn an Fhreiceadain
I have a clear view of tomorrows destination, Carn an Fhreiceadain along with its other outlying summit Beinn Bhreac. However the massive tracks up and down both hills are not pretty on the eye.
On the descent North Gynack path to Newtonmore can be seen
Loch Gynack is below but not a fisherman in sight, the water looks pretty choppy from up here.
Once down I follow the trail and cross the golf course, narrowly avoiding a genuinely miss hit drive, and wander down the road to Kingussie.

Profile of Craig Bheag from golf course taken in Autumn
A couple of hours gets you up and down at a leisurely pace.  3.9 miles, 248 metres climbed. Magnificent views which would be even better on a clear sky day but nevertheless very well worth doing. Not at all an ugly duckling.

No comments:

Post a Comment