Monday 22 April 2019

Ben Hope my struggles on the most northerly Munro

Hill: Ben Hope
Category: Munro
Height: 927m
The weather forecast was for unnatural heat for this time of the year in this far most spot in the north of Scotland.

So, it was with anticipation we made the magnificent drive from Lairg to the start of the walk, the Munro Ben Hope. As per the forecast it was a hazy outlook which meant that the hoped for views from the top of The Orkneys might not happen
That's it up there view from parking area
This was a steep little beggar from the start, the summit is still hidden from this snap of the beginning but the slopes to get there are not.
Decent track
Up the side of the burn following a good track there is a slight respite before heading upwards, very steeply, once more.
Views getting better
At least the views up Loch Hope are interesting but I knew early on my body was telling me something was not right. Not actually telling more like screaming, I did not feel good and have never felt like this on a hill before. I thought my sniffles were early hay fever signs but clearly more severe.
Views improving Loch Hope
Finally the gradient starts to ease but even the banana hit had not done a lot for my energy levels, this was becoming a real effort of mind over matter. The crags high above confirmed there was still some way to go.
Ridge
We reached the wide ridge and I wrongly assumed I would feel better on this easier gradient but reality was even worse. My breathing was laboured and my legs felt like jelly.
The plateau ends abruptly, with the extremely steep and airy north ridge plummeting beyond with great walls of crags on each flank.
It probably didn’t help that the pace was high, despite the other guys stopping a few times to allow me to catch breath. Still my inner determination kept me going and boy was I glad when I reached the summit. 

Busy top
Despite my efforts to hinder the top was now achieved in 1.59hr, very pleased indeed.
The shelter a super place for lunch, rest these knackered legs.

Ben Loyal in distance
The views were grand even if the Orkneys could not be seen. The nearest high points that can be seen are Ben Klibreck and Ben Loyal. The western hills jutted everywhere but the plains also have their own attractiveness. The haze was clearing but slowly, the causeway and the sandy beaches now prominent.
Looking north but no Orkney Islands 
Apart from a pair of ravens the wildlife was non existent which was disappointing. Where are the raptors, the eagles sea and golden a buzzard even? Where are the ouzels, buntings, dotterel etc? maybe due to the number of people regularly on this hill they go elsewhere. That's where walking on your own on smaller more remote hills comes into its own.
Stony descent
As we descended we were passing more ascenders. In Scotland it is joked that at the first burst of sun off come the tops regardless of temperature. Well a well sculptured bearded guy passed us topless, on top of a Munro, not that warm, tough guy obviously playing the stereotype card.
Cars down there somewhere
The descent was certainly more enjoyable particularly as the views were improving as the haze dissipated.
Cold refreshing Scottish water and free
As we descended the cascading Allt a'Mhuiseil provided an opportunity we were delighted to take to fill up on fresh Scottish water after this, for me, strenuous walk on a very warm day.
No doubt my inner system was not functioning correctly call it bio-rhythms or what but that was tough, but enjoyable.
The delightful old world Crask Inn for a cold one, well earned


Wildlife: Raven, meadow pipit,
Time: 4.07
Ascent: 2864ft (935m)
Distance: 4.8m (8.2k)

No comments:

Post a Comment