Monday 15 April 2019

I can see for miles and miles from Ben Chonzie

Hill: Ben Chonzie (hill of moss)
Category: Munro
Height: 931m


After yesterdays big pull up Ben Lawers I was ready for this ‘easy’ Munro walk as I headed home.
I started my walk from the traditional parking area opposite the old school at Coishavachan up Glen Lednock. Not yet 9am but a few cars parked up, looks like a busy day on the hill.
Start of walk
When through the gate the track turns left and passes the buildings and a small mallard pond before starting the gradual climb.
Dried up hydro mess
When you reach the small dam you can see the impact of even small hydro schemes. The flow of the Invergeldie Burn ends abruptly where it is trapped and a dried up rocky mess is left to what was once a pleasant flowing water way. 
Pretty burn above the dam
Glen Etive beware. 
Looking back great view
Just keep plodding up the estate track, stopping from time to time to pretend you are not tired, just admiring the expanding views behind. At least the birdlife is more varied today.
Go up there if you want, my descent
I ignored the steep track on my left leaving that for my descent. Instead I followed the cut track to a small cairn. From here an easier ascent is made round the back before reaching the broad plateau.
No problems with navigation today as the views are excellent but the winds are even stronger than yesterday and significantly colder. 
Summit over there
To my right the summit is clear but time to get all the warm gear on.
The fence line to follow to the top is a good guide if required.
View over Lawers range
Today on reaching the top this was not a spot to linger even with the very large cairn. No hiding place in this wind. Not sure of the temperature but feels like the wind chill factor will be well below zero. The short grass is already white and frozen. Pity as the views are superb. Plenty of large snow speckled hills in all directions. The only thing limiting the views is how good your eyesight is. Today I can see for miles and miles, fantastic.
Loch Turret
I get a quick snap of Loch Turret before heading back the same way across this broad expanse, taking in the views as best I could. The wind pushing me along.
It's cold up here
I head for the track I omitted on my ascent and enjoy the short descent back to the estate track. Plenty of walkers heading up the hill now, always smug to be descending at this time.
Descent track more great views
Ben Chonzie is an easy hill by Munro standards but if you get clear air like today the views are stunning so give it a go.


Wildlife: Mistle thrush, wheatear, raven, red kite, black grouse, red grouse.
Time: 3.25
Ascent: 2347ft
Distance: 8.18m

No comments:

Post a Comment