Monday 15 April 2019

The Ben Lawers circuit

Hill: Ben Lawers, Beinn Ghlas
Category: Munro’s
Height: n/a


Yesterday was a bright blue sky day, stunning visibility and perfect for walking. Today was foggy to start with and a cloudy forecast perfect for salmon fishing. So guess which way around my days went, correct, blue skies = nae salmon.
After a too hearty breakfast I was at the walk start early and raring to go. The tops were in cloud but with blue skies around, early hope to fade away sadly wrong.
View from start, blue sky optimism
Only a few cars parked up, a good look at the objective and off I went.
Through the small wood then out onto the open moorland. I wanted a circular walk so took the well worn track heading for the bealach, much easier than ascending the steep, heavy breathing track to Beinn Ghlas, leave that path for the descent.
Track to bealach, blue sky but cold
When I reached the bealach the pair ahead turned left, heading up Meall Corranaich, which gave me a jolt as I had just been following them assuming they were doing the same as me. At the same juncture my rough track curved round the side, boulders and snow en route, slight concern as nobody else here but footprints in the snow. 
Track to meet tourist route, Lawers in cloud
Once round the corner I could clearly see the track heading to the junction at the base of Ben Lawers. 
Towards Glen Lyon
Stunning views down below, the meandering Allt a‘ Chobhair heading down to Glen Lyon? On this hill you can still get remoteness and isolation
By the time I reached the junction with the tourist path, the wind was fierce and other walkers were in sight, no chance of isolation now.
Steep pull ahead
After yesterday's wading in the Tay my calves were protesting so the final steep climb up to the summit was a bit painful and slow. The summit is in and out of cloud, would I get a view, unlikely as no blue skies around.
Weather window on top looking east along the ridge
Reached the summit as a sleet shower briefly hammered in, got a view for thirty seconds then no more. Exactly 2 hours to top, happy with that
It was Baltic, bloody freezing, all layers already on so back down quickly, no place to stop for lunch, not that I needed it after breakfast.
Eroded path the Beinn Ghlas
Now the straight forward tourist trail up to Beinn Ghlas which is much easier this direction. Except for the wind of course.
Chatted to as few passing walkers and before I knew it top number two reached. Cloud cover now above me so good views, albeit hazy. 
I can see you!!
Across the way a group were standing on top of Meall Corranaich.
As I descended these steep slopes why would you want to put the effort in coming up this way, stick to my ascent route folks.
Looking back to Beinn Ghlas
The views still excellent the very pointed  peak of Meall nan Tarmachan really stands out, it looks so far away but really isn't
Before long back at the car, a couple of minutes over two hours, that was fine. A very good walk if a bit cold and windy.
Now for coffee and carrot cake in Pitlochry, got to keep up my reputation of fat but fit.


Wildlife: nil
Time: 4.01
Ascent: 3016ft
Distance: 7.15 

No comments:

Post a Comment