Wednesday 24 April 2019

Well blow me over Ben Stack

Hill: Ben Stack
Category: Graham
Height: 720m
Ben Stack looks more impressive further back
As I drove alongside Loch More towards the start of the walk this pointed mountain sat at the end of the loch and looked me in the eye. I knew Arkle was close by but as I got closer I realised that this was my pointy top and the weather forecast was for the wind to grow stronger, oh dear.
Parked up and it is true the hill lots a lot less dramatic from the parking area. 3 other cars heading for Arkle, it looks magnificent, have I got the poor man's choice?
Almost up to the knee lol
From the car park I went up towards the mast, turned in across dry peat until my 6th step, straight in, not a happy chappy, covered in peat mud, is there more of this to come?
As always for me lots of heavy breathing at the beginning as I laboured up the moorland hillside occasionally catching a bit of a track but mainly just looking up and heading for the rocky outcrop. Head down, small step by small step just get this bit over. Forty minutes to the outcrop not sure if that is good.
Loch More
Take a breather and look back down Loch More.
It was nice to get to the ground levelling off where I knew my second wind would kick in and all would be well. The ground was still wet and squelchy in places and lots of deep holes to catch the unwary.
Moorland tramp
Some low crags on the right guide you upwards and soon the top peaks out. Hills are starting to show themselves to the west.
Summit in sight
 The wind has picked up significantly so hood up as the bald bits getting cold.
Last climb snap flattens it out a steep one
Then over the top and the ascent to Ben Stack is clearly seen in all its glory.
A couple of faint paths have been noted, I opt to ascend via the left one and as it transpired came down the right.
The wind was now officially very strong but the last 50 metres or so were a real challenge. Hands were being used at times to just keep balanced, huge gusts threatening to lift me up, interesting as the drop on the right looked kind of death like, not that i am a big feartie.
Ariel?
Onto the top, a rocky ridge, which has a split, just as well as I went through the lower middle taking some shelter, rather than risk the exposed path. 
True top
The left as I ascended is the trig but I stupidly headed out, crawled in parts, past the ariel to the true summit, mad or what? All for a blue tag on Walkhighlands. 90 minutes from the start, I was pleased with that, expected 2 hours.
Arkle in foreground Fionaven behind
The views were hazy but stunning particularly northwards to the coast and beyond and across to Arkle & Foinaven. I would love to have spent more time but this was just not fun.
My initial descent off the top had me crouched as low as I could, leg stance like a Sumo fighter, and small stepped as the wind just battered in, wow!
Bealach
Thankfully I reached the bealach and the wind dropped to hurricane force and I felt relieved.
I met a young lad on his way up who seemed surprised about the wind up top, read the forecast young man.
Now an enjoyable trek back down the way I ascended taking in the views. And I avoided the peat traps.
Only problem was I had given the missus the car and I was an hour ahead of schedule from the WH estimate. No phone signals here to summon her. A long wait ahead, plenty of fruit and a bounty bar. And a river to clean the muck off my boots.
Glad to be back to normal fitness.

Wildlife: Raven & Meadow pipit.
Time: 2.39
Ascent: 2240ft (955m)
Distance: 4.93m (8.5k)

No comments:

Post a Comment