Thursday 17 October 2019

Benarty Hill

Hill: Benarty Hill
Category: Sub2k
Height: 356m
What a difference a day makes, after yesterdays perfect viewing conditions I woke up to a misty damp morning. I was originally planning a moorland hike but opted to head across to Fife and do at least one of the easy lower Sub2k‘s I had been keeping for the good lady.
Good network of paths
By the time I reached the start there was blue sky above but still low cloud looking back to the Pentland Hills. There seems to be a good network of walks around here. Possibly to do with the economic deprivation of the ex mining area trying to get people active.
Good steps go up a fair way
I started by heading up the wooden steps heading into the trees. By golly this was steep going but the birds were singing as if it was spring so just keep going. 
At the point where this path meets the one from Ballingry there are good views back to Loch Ore. There seems to be a lot of cars parked maybe it is an outdoor centre?
Turn left here and follow the path still in the trees but deforestation can be spotted ahead.
On track now out on the moor
There is now a main forestry path and numerous others zig zagging through the ruins, I just kept following the widest one. That was until I suspected this was going the wrong way. I had glimpsed a fence gate higher up in dead tree land so I backtracked and yes this was the one, very easy to miss.
Squashed round stone
A good path again to reach the big round stone and the trig point can be seen in the distance. It was warm and I was perspiring.
Trig looking to Bishop Hill
 The path winds it's way across the moor and goes right to the trig but go further, over the fence and stand at the edge. The views are absolutely cracking as you stand and look down on the wide expanse of Loch Leven and the surrounding flat lands farmed by the RSPB at Vane farm. Looks great from here but not good memories of fishing there. 
Scotlandwell and Bishop Hill
Behind Loch Leven lies the village of Scotlandwell and Bishop Hill which I was up earlier this year. 
Glider getting towed up
A glider is being pulled up and a huge flock of greylag geese fly over, easily a couple of hundred. The circle the loch for ages before swooping down to rest and feed.
Loch Leven
It is not a hardship to stand here and soak it in. The only downside was over to the West the other hill I was considering is still in cloud.
Across the way the landscape is clearly not natural and is the terrain of an Iron age fort. Probably better seen from above, reminder check Google Earth.
On my way down a kestrel hovers. Not sure if I have just been lucky or are they getting numbers back but I have seen a good few across Scotland over the last few months, long may it continue.
Finally all over, a grand wee walk with once again beautiful views for minimal effort. I will head over to Dumglow and see what it is like.

Wildlife: Tits-blue, coal & great; Kestrel; Carrion crow; Jackdaw flock (over 50); Greylag geese.

Time: 1.16
Ascent: 644ft 
Distance: 2.29m 

No comments:

Post a Comment