Thursday 17 October 2019

Dumglow

Hill: Dumglow
Category: Sub2k
Height: 379m

A short drive from Benarty Hill and although weather not brilliant, rain threatening clouds, I decided to start the walk anyway.
As this was a last minute change of plan I had not prepared a route. However, I had studied online, one persons walk this morning and had the map ingrained in the old memory banks. My only concern was the route going through a very marshy section of reeds and with all this rain it was going to be very wet. Some mentioned almost impassable at times.
My starting point
The walk report had mentioned parking at a lay by with the signpost to Dumglow. That’s what I did and started walking up the track. This was clearly a forestry road and one report said it was a short walk to the Loch an Glow, less than a mile it said.
Apparently a lookout point for the big fort
I came across a family with dogs who said the path was a dead end at one point but they had not gone further. No problem, route etched in mind and navigation should be straightforward, terrain excepting.
Not my water where is that loch?
I reached a junction yellow marker sign, good but I was now well over a mile into the walk and still no sign of the water!! Deforestation all around I should see the stuff.

I continued until this temporary forestry track became a dead end but there was also a signpost. The loch ¾ of a mile away in one direction but Dumglow just half a mile through the woods. The loch is a well known fishing water and no way the anglers were walking 3/4 of a mile from here with all their gear. I was certain that I had not missed any turn offs then the grey matter kicked in there must be another lay by further on from where I parked!
Muddy track walk on the green left and ankle deep
Undeterred I followed the way to Dumglow and entered the woods, a bit more awkward as it was a very boggy area but the odd footprint in the mud suggested I was not the first person up here recently.
Head through here
I then came to a full on wood tunnel, a flicker of light at the end. Well I was here now so on I went, glad the good lady had passed.
Out onto the open moor and I could see said loch down to my left and in front of me a grassy path continuing up hill. 
Looking back from style the fishing water
I followed this, over a fence and up a small grassy hump and there it was, the trig not too far away. A short saunter and the top of Dumglow was reached, another hill fort.
The Ochils from the trig
Obviously another excellent viewing spot The Ochil hills not in cloud today. Back towards Loch Leven the hills also cloud free, I got lucky with the weather.
That's a big new house
There looked like a very large new build being constructed down below, nice one.
Back through the woods and a goshawk glides near the tops before right angling into the trees, an impressive fast turn and the birds have stopped singing!
So, it turned out that my route was the shortest and easiest walking route to get here after all. Maybe not the most scenic but a lucky break avoiding the loch side pathless trek. At the parking area a new plantation and a large flock of tiny Goldcrests moving through, lovely birds, a good ending to the walk.

Wildlife: Goshawk; Goldcrest; Buzzard; Jay; Wood Pigeon; Meadow Pipit; 
Time: 1.21
Ascent: 576ft 
Distance: 3.51m 

No comments:

Post a Comment