Thursday 17 October 2019

Cairnpapple Hill & The Knock

Hill: Cairnpapple & The Knock West Lothian
Category: Sub2k
Height: 312m
Cairnpapple has to be the shortest and easiest Sub2k on record from this direction. 
Viewfinder on The Knock
I had diverted from my journey to take in the views from The Knock which I had been told were stunning and indeed the were. A short hop and a skip from the parking and I was at the direction viewfinder on The Knock. On this magnificent blue sky Autumn day the views were as extensive as could be, fabulous.
Pentland Hills behind The Knock
To the east Pentland Hills range was absolutely clear. Further south Berwick Law’s pointed top standing in isolation against the flat countryside. The Forth bridges glistening in the sun and the Fife hills looking great. Only the Ochil’s tops were in cloud, glad I wasn’t there. The viewfinder has an impressive number of direction points and it is new enough that you can actually read them.
The modern Stanes circle from Knock
Tups have invaded the stone circle
Looking down to the farm below the modern standing stones circle can be clearly seen. Another visitor asked me how old they were as they looked so impressive? I didn’t have the heart to tell him the farmer had erected them, 50 Stanes, for his sons 50th birthday, maybe one day they will be ancient but not this day.
Cairnpapple trig can be seen on horizon
I was going to drive a couple of miles to the start of Cairnpapple. But as I stood up here I could see a trig across the way. Looked at my OS maps on the phone, yip that was the top of Cairnpapple. The track from the normal beginning has a history of cattle issues but from here I could only see sheep at this end. Decision made, lazy sod, a short trek from here and another one bagged.
Forth Bridges
Grassy fields crossed are surprisingly dry, farm tracks to follow to the trig and that was it.
Arthur's Seat in distance, Edinburgh's mountain
Again stunning views for minimal effort.
Time for that coffee and cake, at least this mornings run means I have earned it.

Wildlife: Skylark, Rooks
Time: .46min
Ascent: 116ft 
Distance: .93m 

No comments:

Post a Comment