Saturday 7 March 2020

More than just a mile

Hill: Mile Hill Angus
Category: Sub2K
Height: 410m
Another trip up to the north east for a few days walking, hopefully in better conditions than the west coast as I am well scunnered with all this wind and rain. En route I wanted a couple of easy leg stretchers to get back in the groove. Additionally the opportunity to drive back roads that are new to me and take in new countryside was another objective.
My first objective was the oddly named Mile Hill. Is it a mile from anywhere, not that I know? Guaranteed to have this place to myself.
Impressive gate house once upon a time
I certainly went through some new back roads to the my starting point beside the impressive, but derelict, gatehouses of Balintore Castle. I had never heard of this castle before and it certainly is a large country house. Apparently rooms can bet let on AirBnB.
1st obstacle get over the hanging gate
Crossed the road and set off down the track passing a small wood with pheasant feeders, a few birds running around.
Dump!!
A bit further on the track goes past a dumping area, mostly electrical goods presumably from the estate, what a mess. All around are rabbits more than I have seen for long enough.
The track looks as if it is heading for the buildings but take the left fork and follow it along to near the old cottage.
Mile Hill I headed for the end of trees in the middle then straight up
I decided to cut in and go up the near side of the small conifer plantation but you can go on a bit and go up from the other side. Glad I did as a woodcock burst out from its cover, saw both it and its partner on the descent.
My peripheral vision kept seeing movement and it was field voles scampering from hiding hole to hiding hole. Never seen so many in one spot. Plenty of food for the 4 buzzards circling above.
Spotted you, we are off
Across a couple of minor water crossings after which I just headed up the flanks to the top. A pair of roe deer moved up to the skyline then gone.
Small but steep at times
It might be a small hill but the gradient and the terrain made for some lung wheezing.
Looking north from the top
At the top, summit seems too grand, there is no trig, no mini pile of stones. Strange when looking around all the smaller tops I could see had cairns that would rival the one on Lochnagar, very odd.
Cat Law with a good snow covering
Still nice views Mount Blair very white. Across the way another Graham Cat Law still well snow covered, through the binos I can make out someone near the top. Intending to do this on the way back. Also the binos show a single golden eagle on the flanks of Cat Law, superb.
One of the cairns on surrounding hills
Simply headed back down the same way as it was now mid afternoon and I had another hill to do.
Not content with large numbers of rabbits and voles I also saw the largest flock of Peewits in recent times for me, suddenly rise and I then I realised why, a Goshawk tried and failed to take one. Still hungry it turned and flew the dyke and then the tree borders trying to flush something out but I did not see it take anything. Beautiful flight just like a Sparrowhawk but much larger.
Overall it was a short leg stretcher but stacks of wildlife for such a short walk, spring is in the air and they are all out and about.
Reached the car and a red kite glides over, perfect ending to walk one.

Wildlife: Woodcock; Peewit; Coal tit; Great tit; Buzzard; Roe Deer; Field Voles; Rabbits; Siskin; Goshawk; Red Kite; Golden Eagle; Wood Pigeons.

Time: 1.55
Ascent: 258m
Distance: 6.4km

No comments:

Post a Comment