Sunday 8 March 2020

No cats but another excellent ramble on Cat Law

Hill: Cat Law. Possibly (wild) cat. Or Gaelic ‘cath meaning battle. Local history suggests battle of Mons Graupius (Us versus The Romans) was fought nearby but other places claim this as well.
Category: Graham
Height: 698m

On my way home I decided to finish my little trip with the hill across the way from Mile Hill and glad I did, it was a little cracker.
Once again I parked up by the old gatehouse to the castle. Another early morning start with the only the sounds being the singing of the birds and the calling of the sheep and cattle, my kind of walking, peace and tranquility.
A short walk along the road for 200m before going through a gateway into a field opposite the farm. First obstacle couldn’t get the gate open so a wee climb, hope the farmer wasn’t watching.
Onto the moor
Crossed the field to reach a gate, hidden from view, but near the top of the trees, out onto the moor. Thankfully no livestock to negotiate.
White bottoms 
Simply followed the good path. Immediately spotted deer on the horizon who had also spotted me and soon scampered.
Snow stuck to the path despite thawing on the heather
The track soon became white which was a mixture of consolidated snow and ice. On the path, off the path into the heather whichever gave the best footing. I was sweating it was a lovely spring morning even this early.
I could see the front slopes of Cat Law but this was a Graham category so I knew the real top would be a good bit behind.
Not bothered unless an eagle appears
The snow was getting deeper and there was now no real path to be seen. Looking at the map I decided to just go up the hill where I could see half a dozen white coated hares looking at me.
At first the going was easier but when it levelled out on the plateau I was breaking through the snow with each step. At least calf deep but frequently knee deep, this was tough going for an old codger.
I headed for a fence line but realised the banked up snow was even deeper over there, guess which way the wind blows. Even the hares had disappeared. A meadow pipit rose and sang away or maybe just calling its pals saying there was an eejit up here, come and have a laugh.
Pleased to see the trig
Then on the white horizon the trig appeared and I was glad to see it. The true top is a bit further on. The views are extensive and the bigger hills up north are in view but without definition (Schehallion, Mayar, Dreish).
The haze also meant the distant views to Fife & the Pentlands not as clear as I hoped, hey whose complaining they are still good enough.
Shelter over by the fence more for the beaters than walkers I suspect
There is a substantial cairn shelter over at the fence but I did not need it, banana eaten, suitably refreshed back down.
Looking back followed my footsteps going down
At least I could walk in my footsteps so a lot easier descending. Stopped at one of the many gun butts for coffee break, they might not shoot hares but they do in the grouse.
About half way down a couple came up and we had a nice ten minute chat.
Shortly after a single walker appeared with whom I had a very interesting chat with. He was a local beater for the estate. He said that the keeper was an enlightened type and would not cull the hares believing they were beneficial to the moor, good man. I mentioned that from Mile Hill the other day I thought I had spotted an eagle over Cat Law and he confirmed they were here. Lo and behold a couple of minutes later we heard the calling and a pair were cruising the tops further over before circling higher and higher into the sky until even with the binos seen no more, made my walk that bit more special.
A nice colour contrast on the descent
As I descended a red kite glided over, nice to see them as single birds probably the same one from two days ago.
Heading back to the car and had the perfect view of a red squirrel sitting still at the top of a tree, tail curled over its head. Yip as soon as I started to focus the camera it was off.
A cracking hill on a perfect day. This was a good way to finish a super little trip. Solo walking often means more wildlife spotted and this trip was perfect for that.
Sadly back to the winds and the rain for the weekend.

Wildlife: Golden Eagle (pair); Red Kite; Mountain Hares; Meadow Pipit; Peewit; Red Squirrel; Red grouse; Roe deer.

Time: 2.51
Ascent: ft (413m)
Distance: m (7.8km)

No comments:

Post a Comment