Friday 20 March 2020

Self Isolating on a hill.....Craignell

Hill: Craignell
Category: Sub2K
Height: 477m
I was looking for a triple whammy from today's walk. A new hill to climb, nobody to catch the virus from and nobody to give it to, that is in the unlikely event I have it!!

After some deliberation a good choice was made. Craignell rises southwest of Clatteringshaws Loch in the Galloway Forest Park. You rarely see anyone on a weekend in the minor Galloways so today was perfect, not a sole apart from some forestry workies in a van, no close contact.
Clatteringshaws Loch
I parked a bit further away from where you could start but on this beautiful calm blue sky morning I wanted to walk alongside Clatteringshaws Loch. I hoped to see fish rising, nope, and I hoped to see some birds on the water, nope. Still the calm water and the surrounding scenery were enough of a treat.
Little Craignell with quarry in front, ridge running to Craignell
Ahead I could see the slopes of Little Craignell which I would be ascending before doing the ridge walk to its big brother. The quarry is a bit of an eyesore but the rest just fine. Birds singing like there’s no tomorrow, well at least they should be ok. Amazing amount of Robins on the walk today. I tend to think of them as a garden bird but this lot might be far eastern imports, great singing though.
Head anywhere up there
I come off the forestry route and cut in at a track heading to the slopes. Although grassy it is underpinned with rocks, presumably from said quarry. It actually made it slippy from the frost with no sun getting here at this time of day.
After a short walk up the track I decided to veer off and head up the slopes. I knew what I was in for. Galloway tussocks, hidden holes, tree obstacles, boggy underfoot and it did not disappoint.
Scrambling towards the top I came across a similar rocky path to earlier but it petered out quickly, back to the normal terrain.
Small cairn on Little Craignell
Arrived at Little Craignell in a shower, what the heck I thought, I had left blue skies to come here. Still there were compensations, atmospheric views all around. These hills are best described as rugged but in this changing light they have a beauty all to themselves.
Rugged terrain
From here the ridge walk to Craignell itself looks longer than it did on the map, my mistake for not paying attention to detail. Overall the terrain was reasonable going. I followed 6 sheep with ragged coats who were not pleased that I was behind them. But they were following what looked like a regular trail so it also made my walking easier. 
One of the many lochans
Quite a few lochans dotted about up here but there was no sign of life in any of them.
From Craignell looking back to the ridge and the Loch
Finally reached the cairn of Craignell and spent some time enjoying the views. Looking back there is a patchwork of colour. 
Across the way Millfore I presume.
Merrick & Corserine
Then Corserine and The Merrick hills with some snow lingering. Further west I am sure the prominent hump will be the plug Knockdolian. Overall a nice viewpoint.
At the last moment I decided to make it a circular walk, heading west before heading to the end of the treeline. 
Deforestation ahead
The going was reasonable but care needed to be taken especially the final steep slopes down to the trees. Sideways foot movements no accidents now please.
I took a food break enjoying the views over the slopes and hills. Spotted a caterpillar not far from furry me, a big dark brown one, first of the year for me. Then a small light orange/brownmoth, presumably not a butterfly, flew past and disappeared into the tussocks.

Lots of dead looking trees around
Deforestation is taking place below but no work going on today and after a short muddy section I regained the forest track which took me back to the loch and then the car. 
Although the final section before the loch is now rarely used, it was very muddy, but a bit of fun at the end, but wish I had put those gaiters on.
Frogspawn
 In one of the side water channels I spotted my first frogspawn of the year. This water won't be dried out anytime soon so hopefully they will survive.
Crossbill was bathing in a puddle, plenty around here today
A good decision today. Avoided the news and listened to good music on the drive up and down, my taste, and the excellent walk made the abnormality of the last week seem a long way away.
Time to continue my normal living when I get home with a couple of cold Cullach Brewing IPA beers. Cheers to normality.

Wildlife: Robin; Chaffinch; Wren; Buzzard (pair); Pied Wagtail; Grey Heron; Meadow Pipit; Crossbill; Frogspawn; Caterpillar; Moth
Time: 3.32
Ascent: ft (410m)
Distance: m (11.2km)

No comments:

Post a Comment