Wednesday 23 June 2021

Rollercoaster circuit of Dun Rig

Hill: Dun Rig (Dull brown Ridge) (744m); Birkscairn Hill (Cairn above Birks(farm)) (661m): Glenrath Heights (heights above Glenrath farm) (732m): Stob Law (no known name) (676m)

Type: Graham x1, Donald x4

Another opportunity from my Edinburger trip to detour on the way home this time and save adding mileage to busy milometer on the car. Time to complete the long Dun Rig horseshoe. 

The star of the bunch is Dun Rig which is a Graham and the highest point of the Manor hills. Alongside the walk is a horseshoe collecting another 3 Donalds. Planning stage and this is a long walk as unfortunately all the bagging hills are at the far end of the horseshoe. The plus side is that it is a long walk in beautiful rolling border hills so embrace and enjoy. I was tempted to do this last week with some friends but the forecast was rubbish, glad I waited.

Looking back to Peebles shortly after the start
Today the forecast was good with blue skies overhead when I started the walk from the traditional spot at the end of Glen road. In my planning I debated the less reported anti clockwise route but ultimately stuck with convention. There were no wind issues to factor in so off I went, another test for the recovering legs.

It is a long walk in with quite a few ups and downs before the first Donald of Birkscairn Hill is reached. I followed the old drove road which is a cracking start but the climbing starts almost immediately. It was early morning but before long the I was dripping, boy was it warm. In the early morning light a stunning russet coloured field hare briefly appeared and disappeared. 

The high level walk ahead with Dun Rig centre
It did not take long before the views opened out and I had an option to go over or round Craig Head. On a better fitness day I would have gone over but still tired legs I followed the drove road round around the hill There will be enough climbing ahead. The signpost warned of coos which were spotted but not interested in me.

Cardrona forest on the left, track up to Kirkhope and Birkscairn behind centre
The drove road continued beside the forest with excellent views of the horseshoe ahead. A few more ups and downs before the long pull up Birkscairn Hill and its big cairn. I was having a break and eating my banana when I heard a snort and a springer spaniel appeared beside me. Its owner said a brief hello before jumping the fence and headed off downwards towards Birks Hill, He was the only person I saw all day.

Dun Rig ahead from Birkscairn, Glenrath behind on right
Off now with a clear view of the fence ahead that would lead me to the peat hags and then Dun Rig. The ground was as dry as it probably could be but no doubt that this section from here to Huddlestone Heights could be a significantly different/harder walk with the hags and sphagnum bog terrain.

Dun Rig trig
Dun Rig trig reached without incident, just under 3 hours, pleased with that. Another food break, a good scotch egg and take in the views. 


Half way view back from Pt713m

The horseshoe heads further south, following the high ground, before turning round to head for home and the next Donald of Glengarth Heights. This section had some serious hags here. Even in the very dry conditions my feet were breaking the crust and sinking in quite deep, the joys it could be after a prolonged wet spell!

A raven flies over, the first and only corvid spotted today and on Windlestraw circuit the other day.

Heading back now Glenrath Heights ahead with Stob Law back left

After the turn another fence to follow, plodding slowly up the slopes of Glengarth Heights with one eye looking at a top over to the far left which my mind was in no doubt, that was the spur of Stob Law. 

Glenrath summit looking to Drumelzier hills
Excellent views particularly to the western hills of Coulter, Tinto and the Drumelzier hills. No jagged peaks but still a special view.

Looking to Stob Law
When I reached Broom/Middle Hill the motivation to do an out and back to the final Donald of Stob Law was low but it had to be done. The descent was steep and when I reached the col it was rucksack off and followed the track to Stob Law, a strange feeling climbing a hill without the weight of a rucksack. 

The flatlands of Stob Law
Stob Law is a flat top with not a lot going for it, a few stones make up the cairn, it feels appropriate for the runt of the round. The descent however does give good views down into a deep valley on my left with some featuring crags interesting named 'Bleak Hope'.

The return to Broom Hill a lot steeper than the snap makes it look
I was feeling a bit bleak myself as I collected my rucksack for the return ascent to Broom Hill. A single wild raspberry was growing beside it. To eat it or not. I decided I would let it seed and maybe some future nutrition for Donald dafties. This was easily the steepest gradient of the walk so just kept muttering 'its the last climb' over and over.

Now really heading for home via Huddlestone Heights. Another moorland section strewn with hags and bogs, the softest terrain of the walk. A clutch of red grouse fledging's burst from cover, fun to see. 

Huddlestone Heights, Pentland Hills in background
Finally the last high point, Huddlestone Heights, a non status hill but it has a trig and more superb views of the horseshoe I have just walked in its entirety. There was a cooling breeze and the air quality was so clear I could see the Bass Rock and even further afield across the Forth the multi stories at Kirkcaldy and behind them the Lomond Hills. Makes all the effort worth while.

All that was left was the very long walk back out. From the trig there is an ATV track which follows the broad ridge of Dead Side passing more gun butts. Nothing left other than to enjoy the walk and take in the views. 

Raven trap
Near the old settlements I came across a raven trap. Clearly not in use at present but might explain the lack of birds seen. 

An excellent walk particularly with the weather but it was certainly a roller coaster of a walk, confirmed when I looked at the GPS profile. It would be a shame to do this on a cloudy day and miss out on the views. I would certainly do it again but miss out the spur, don't need to bag it twice lol.

Just two to go for a Donald completion, that will be July's task.

Ascent: 1068m

Distance: 24.7km

Time: 6.27

Wildlife: Field Hare; Woodpecker (pair), Pheasant, Buzzard. Raven. Blackbird, Jay (heard), Cuckoo (heard), Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Red Grouse chicks, Small heath butterfly,

No comments:

Post a Comment