Thursday 10 June 2021

Short grassy and woodland trip.....Killyleoch Hill

Hill: Killyleoch Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 240m

I decided to pick off an easy hill so opted for the Sub2k of Killyleoch hill in Dumfries & Galloway. As usual the hardest part was finding the start but after a false start, studied the map, then I realised that I had to go through a working farm, the joys, angry dogs etc.

From the feeders around clearly shooting land, pheasants this time.


The start field number 1
My concern was the number of fields that I was going to cross and what sort of livestock would be in them. I could see that they were large fields with no hiding place!!
Field number 2

Now in open ground
As I headed through field 3 I was aiming for the tree edge in centre. No sign of beasties but there were fresh droppings so eyes constantly roaming I headed for the bit of scrub ahead which was beside a small stone dyke and a double barbed wire fence, more blood drawn. 
Over the barriers and I did spot beasties but they were all far away so good so far.
Then the rough stuff deforestation had made a real mess and destroyed any trails and the rain came on.
Found a way out of the trees to another stone dyke, through the gap and onto the open land with the summit somewhere up to my right.
And then the reward one of the smallest cairns around but to be fair not a bad wee view of Dumfries & Galloway and I could spot at least two sub2k tops previously conquered.
Open country but I am back into the trees.
Found a wall to follow for a while which led me to another field which was full of ponies but again a distance away.
NIce to see open woodland for a short spell.
The opposite view of field 3 and the barrier in the middle. I am heading for the gap in the trees but beasties still far away but they can run faster than me.
Buzzard

This buzzard was so big I thought it was a golden eagle at first.

A short but fun little countryside ramble with nice views but on another day those fields might be filled with killer coos!! 

Ascent: 252m

Distance: 4.4km

Time: 1.18

Wildlife: Buzzard; Pheasant: Carrion Crow; Blue Tit; Chaffinch,

No comments:

Post a Comment