Sunday 27 June 2021

It certainly was not scorching on Beinn an Dothaidh

Hill: Beinn an Dothaidh ( Hill of the scorching )

Type: Munro

Height: 1004m

This was the last day of my mini trip and i wanted a short half day outing close to my digs. The decision was relatively easy as I had Dothaidh on my list for some time. The last time I was here we had such bad weather we retreated after Dorain and did not do the double.

As I packed the car this morning it was bright blue skies but also a lot cooler than yesterday. Ben More could be seen in full profile so no cloud issues. Just after 8am I parked up at the bridge of Orchy hotel, only one other car and nobody about, normally this is a busy place but more on that later.

Dry track today, Dothaidh on left
The initial walk is a long gradual rise in pleasant surroundings. The last time I was here this lower section was a real messy boggy trudge. Today it was still a very eroded path but lots of work has been done particularly the amount of stone added. 

Heading for low point, avalanche crags mid left
I was in a good rhythm a slow but steady plod so the distance was covered without effort and before long I was entering the grandeur of Coire an Dothaidh, I have always liked this spot. A couple of years back the Oban Mountain rescue team were training in the Coire and got avalanched. Thankfully nobody was badly injured but accidents on the hills do also happen to the most experienced. 

No snow today but the terrain is the worst of the walk, ascending via boulders, scree, loose rocks and stones. Very awkward I didn't want another accident so slower going.

When I reached the cairn at the bealach I turned and looked back and could only see one other person ascending, another quiet day. 

Good track for a while
The track is clear and obvious to my left which climbs via some hands on rocky sections to reach the plateau. there are already good views into Glen Lyon.

Despite the good weather the plateau is still a boggy walk, feet going deep into the mud and soggy terrain but it does not last for long.

Crianlarich Munros from Ben More furthest left
There are a couple of tracks but I headed for the most direct ascent to the middle top  knowing I would be circling round the all three of Dothaidh's summit tops. 

Pt 993m Crianlarich Munros far horizon
When the summit ridge is reached, first go right to point 993m where there are fabulous views into the glens and there are many Munros showing their tops.

Backtrack a bit and take the short walk up to the highest point where even better views are to be had northwards over the remote and wild Rannoch Moor. Sadly a haze stops me seeing Big Ben but I know it is there. 

Achaladair from Dothaidh
The wind has got up and I don't feel the cold easily but it is absolutely bitter. If this had been autumn you would have said winters coming, it is only June! The closest mountain in view from this top is Beinn Achaladair which although it is only 30m higher, it looks massive. The views into the surrounding corries below are also impressive, an excellent viewpoint.

Plateau to north top

zoomed to mountains behind
No hanging about for too long as I wandered across the wide flat top to the big westerly cairn where if anything the best views of the day. 

Loch Tulla
All the Mounth hills prominent but looking down to Loch Tulla and watching the traffic heading north, miniature vehicles. The might Stob Ghabhar dominates, a very good spot indeed.

Looking back to Bridge of Orchy
A straightforward descent back down the same route. Talking to the few bodies coming up. Taking great care on the scree sections but safely down.

Marsh orchid
I had been looking forward to a coffee and scone at the hotel before driving home but its doors were still closed with walkers milling around. A sign said a positive Covid test had closed it for a few days for deep cleaning. Plenty of West Highland Way walkers were arriving looking for refreshments. I hope they were stocked up because there is absolutely nowhere else until either Glencoe area or Tyndrum to get refreshments. A tough one.

Common Frog
Still for me an excellent walk, really enjoyed it and time for home, wished I was staying longer. 

Ascent: 914m

Distance: 12.9km

Time: 3.51

Wildlife: Raven; Meadow Pipit; Common frog; Golden Ringed dragon fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment