Saturday 26 June 2021

Will I get a view or not?.....Beinn Chuirn

Hill: Beinn Chuirn ( The cairn hill )

Type: Corbett

Height: 880m

The weather forecast was just as grim this morning, particularly for late morning/lunch so a change of plan to do the nearby Corbett to see if I could get up and down before any inclement weather.

Choice of paths at the start, go for the middle one
I started from the normal spot at Dalrigh, not as many cars around as I thought there would be. An overcast low cloud morning but very humid and the midgies already out and about. This time I am armed with not one but two sprays lol.

A long straightforward walk along the Cononish gold mine vehicle track. It was all very quiet, just the birdsong. A couple were walking ahead the only people I spotted until my return walk.

Mine scars ahead plus Chuirn covered in cloud
Before long Chuirn comes into view, covered in cloud along with the mine. The gold mine buildings are a distinctive unsightly scar on the hillside of Chuirn. The track goes past Cononish farm. I presume this has been sold to the mine as I have walked for an hour and there is a distinct lack of livestock around.

There is another deep scar, the Eas Anie's very deep gorge and waterfall although it was only a trickle today. However, you would not want to accidently walk into the gorge when descending.

View as you leave the track, camera flattens the gradient
Finally after just over an hour along the track I reached the small cairn to turn off. The couple still walking so presumably the cloud hidden Ben Lui their destination.

A faint track soon lost so just take a straight line and head up. The grass is short and the ground hard so better going than expected. After a couple of hundered metres I come across the track again and follow it up to the moor at roughly 600m. 

On the flatter plateau
The ground is now boggier but still reasonable as I head NW to cross the burn at a higher point. The burn is so low that there were many crossing options but on another day the fast flowing burn could be more problematic.

Looking back Oss & Lui
Despite the cloud swirling around the surrounding hills I still had a clear line of sight so delighted. Ben Lui coming and going nice views. 

Close up of the cloud cling to slopes of Oss
Ditto looking back to Ben Oss.

No real difficulty on this section just keep heading upwards but it is a Corbett so the top always seem that bit further away no matter the progress made.

No come back if you take the wrong step it just appears
Reached the top ridge, found another track which skirts within a foot of a precipitous drop down a gully into the cloud covered Coire na Saobhaidhe, A cautious look over the edge, a dramatic view indeed, it would be pretty impressive without the cloud. That could be a real danger in bleak conditions.

The Munro tops showing themselves

Also some Tyndrum Corbetts appearing
From the top there were special atmospheric views as all the Munro tops along Glen Dochart, Lawers range and even Schiehallion were poking their heads through the clouds. Blue skies are good but this is spectacular for a change. 

Oss & Lui from summit

OLd fence, Ben Lawers biggie on left
For a minute the 3 Munro tops of Dhubcraig, Oss and Lui had shed their cloud shrouds but only for a minute before normal service resumed.

Dhubcraig and the ridge to Oss, hopefully ascend them soon
Disappointingly my stay at the top only lasted minutes as the low clouds were coming down from the north slowly swirling around both flanks. I had got lucky with the ascent but now it was time to descend.

Typical of day about to be engulfed by another cloud
Simply retraced my steps, the moor section poor visibility but visibility improved again when I reached the 600m mark. The track could be seen winding its way back to Dalrigh.

The long track back to Dalrigh
When I reached the track the rain came on, light but constant all the way back, so my early start was rewarded.

The pitter patter of rain hitting my hood accompanied me on the long walk back. The track is alongside the River Cononish which is on its bones, it will be glad to be filled up a bit. The last time I saw this river it was a full on raging torrent in spate, how times change.

On the way back I reflected that although it was a last minute change I had really enjoyed the walk. Now time for coffee and cake somewhere.

Ascent: 734m

Distance: 16.9k

Time: 4.33

Wildlife: Buzzard: Chaffinch; Meadow Pipit; Wren; Ringed Plover.

No comments:

Post a Comment