Monday 5 July 2021

Steep, Steeper, Steepest.....Ben More Crianlarich

Hill: Ben More (Crianlarich)

Type: Munro

Height: 1174m

Taking advantage of the good weather I set of for my northern trip a few days earlier than planned. First stop was Ben More from the Crianlarich side. After all this good weather imagine my surprise when driving up the glen to see the top of Ben More well covered in cloud. At least it had a few hours to clear before I was getting that high. By the time I started it had gone.

Only a few cars parked up. Getting ready at the parking area and the midges were already out. Half tied laces could be sorted on the hill just get out of here.

First view
Through the gate and it was all in front of me. I knew this walk was going to be steep and relentless until the very top and so it proved.

Nearly missed the steps as focused on the track. Looks steep now.
Initially followed the farm tracks in a bending ascent before reaching the refurbished stone track. They have carried out a fabulous job that really helped on the ascent of this section but a different story on the descent, more later.

It was hot now and all sorts of flying beasties were constantly around. That did not help motivate me as I was deliberately making slow progress but apart from one painful bite they were just in the very annoying category.

Big peak Cruich Ardrain with ridge running along to left Beinn Tulachean
Keep plodding, a look up now and again but too vertical to see much ahead. Not another person spotted ahead. Looking back a small group walked up to the start of the stone section but when I next looked they were walking back!

About two thirds of the way up the final section is in view and no cloud although a lot of heavy stuff behind me over Glen Dochart/Lawers etc. Underfoot the path changed to sandy stone and scree but still a zig zag ascent. 

Finally I spotted someone on the skyline, not that far away I wonder why I had not seen him on the ascent before? I had been making slow but good progress but the last quarter did see a slowing down, nutrition sag or just getting tired, combination of both.  At least there are good views to take in on the occasional rest stop.

Looking over Loch Lubhair to Meall Glas hills and Glen Lyon peaks behind

Getting near the top and the gradient does ease up a tad. Now getting full length views of Loch Tay, despite the distant haze it looks good.

Summit appears glad to see it
Finally over a small rocky rise and the summit the top suddenly appears and I was pleased to see the cairn and trig. 

Clear track to Stob Binnein but not for me today
From the trig I am looking over to Stob Binnein and glad that is not in my plans today. Too full on a day tomorrow to be bothered with a 300m descent and reascent to a top I have already been on. Albeit that was a spectacular early winter ascent using a non traditional route.

Back to trig looking NE
Finally time for some food and take in the views. Despite the heat haze it really is quite a spot. I am counting almost 30 Munros and if it was winter clear air probably more. 

Crianlarich west including Lui hills & Cruachan range behind plus many more

Adrian, Tulaichean, Lomond & more
Most of the hills of Crianlarich, Arrochar, Tyndrum, Dalmally, Mounth, Lawers and many more, definitely well worth the effort. And nobody to share it with.

Scree descent slippy stuff
Time to descend by the same route. The scree/stoney terrain was taking very slowly but still there were foot slips on the small stones, no panic but not wanting to do more damage.

The repaired stone section was great on the way up but for me it was a painful descent. Boots hitting down on solid stone, angles twisting the hips. I don't normally have sore hips and knees but I did on this descent, so I was glad to reach the estate track.

About half way down cracking view of Tyndrum hills
I met two couples ascending and stopped for a chat with both, relief for the painful legs. Then almost at the estate track I stopped to let a Japanese runner go by and received thanks. How do I know he was Japanese, well stereotype he looked Japanese and his running vest had a crimson red circle against a white background, maybe he is famous. Anyway, he did not look overly fit but every time i looked back he was still running higher and higher. A lot faster than I ascended.

Glad to finish a good walk with superb views. Except back at the car another midgie feast on me so I jumped in and drove a couple of miles before changing boots and having my recovery food. The joys of Scotland.

Ascent: 1019m

Distance: 6.2km

Time: 4.29

Wildlife: Raven (family gathering 6 flying together); Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment