Friday 9 July 2021

Another rollercoaster this time Glen Lyon style.....Carn Mairg circuit

Hill: Carn Gorm (1029m) (Blue Cairn); Meall Garbh (968m) (Rough Hill); Carn Mairg (1041m) (Rusty Cairn); Meall na Aighean (981m) (Hill of Fawns)

Type: Munro x4

I have very fond memories of beautiful Glen Lyon but not for bagging hills. It is the longest glen in the Southern Highlands and one of the most scenic. A cracking bike ride if you can. I had planned to do this walk in August but decided to just get it done on a day when the weather was forecast to be good. As Ralph Storer says, not a walk to be done on a dull day, you need the views.

I wanted to get most of the walk completed before the day got too hot so I arrived at the small parking area at Invervar just before 7am to find I was the last car that could be squeezed in. In recent times the Perthshire police have been particularly strict in booking on road verge parking. 

Last night for bedtime reading I had stumbled across Storer's guide to these hills and he suggested traversing anti clockwise. But I had everything thought through for the conventional so stuck with that.

I had hummed and hawed a bit last night and this morning re whether to do this as surprisingly yesterdays Ben More had taken its toll more than I thought and the legs were heavy and achy. But my was at least do the first Munro and take it from there.

Signposted start
Heavy cloud covering the hills and also lingering low down. Started off through the heavy undergrowth to a deer fence. With my damaged finger I could not get the gate bolt to open so climbed over the awkward stile. Thankfully the next two gates were fine.

Hydro track to start
Now the walk up the hydro track before crossing the dilapidated metal bridge with bits missing could be a nasty surprise for someone soon. It was very humid. I had been ascending from the start so when the track became open ground with steeper inclines I was taking regular short halts to regather. 

Carn Gorm up there in the cloud
The cloud was coming and going but the regular slow plod was paying off as height gained. 

There are a few zigzag sections but I was glad to reach the flatter top area and its broken cairn although the true top is the first cairn you come to. The guidebook suggested 2 hours 30 but I was on top 2 hours and 5, surprised but delighted considering my stops. Probably pay for it later.

Carn Gorm summit looking to Lawers hills
The clouds were swirling around the glen below me and from the summit I could see it was the same over the Lawers hills. 

My descent to M2 disappears. Schiehallion peak in distance
I was having some food at the top with a good view of my route to 2nd Munro when the clouds swiftly rose from the glen over the col. I watched them rise swirling  over my descent, good timing. In the distance the only view of Schiehallion's peak I was going to get today.

Clouds gone as I head to Meall Garbh ,middle back of snap

A steep stony descent before heading to the track to the left of the broken fence posts and then a short tramp up to Meall Garbh. I could now see dog and walker ahead. Somewhere around here a fell runner died last year from exposure I presume he must have injured himself first.

Junk heap on Meall Garbh
Very rocky in places, searching for grass sections for easier walking and 45 minutes after starting the descent I was at the unique junk ruined iron structured cairn. Good views over Loch Rannoch but light cloud had descended and it would stay for the rest of the higher horseshoe. 

At least these fences were upright.

I was now into the longest walking section between the Munros on the horseshoe as I headed for Carn Mairg, the highest of the 4 Munros.

View across the plateau Carn Mairg off to the right
Another awkward walking descent before reaching a straight forward ascent but no prize yet, the summit still some way away. Middle section was a flat ridge/plateau walk where the cloud was at its lowest and sadly no good views of nearby Schiehallion. 

Huge boulder dumps but the track now contours the slope.
The ridge is left behind to join a contour track heading for Carn Mearg, the highest point of the walk. 

I had caught up a walker and a runner came past near the summit, so much for peace and quiet now a busy top. The walker who had a dog, asked me to go ahead first as his dog was a nuisance!! I should have said no but in my haste to go first I did not scope the descent properly, followed a vague track but this was a serious error and ended up descending across the large boulder field. 

Off the edge at the wrong place, Meall na Aighean/Creag Mhor in cloud
It was very difficult, dangerous, scrambling down is never fun and I used up a lot of energy concentrating before I got out of it. Safe and looking back there was a grassy rake that was the correct descent line.

Again another moorland plod before gradually rising to skyline. A short diversion to my left and the final peak of Meall na Aighean is bagged. Still in light cloud so views limited.

Now cutting down cross country to the ridge which is followed all the way back
I decided to head the other high point before cutting cross country a bit to join up with the ridge which descends all the way back to the hydro track. 

A good view of Munro 1 Carn Gorm
Views were excellent into Glen Lyon and of the climb to Carn Gorm. But it seemed to take forever, I was tiring, my legs protesting then under arm pain, a cleg drawing blood. Dispatched and cursed at the same time. There were a lot of them settling on my clothes today. Deciding to examine myself I noticed that the bite from yesterday had swollen and was now a definite lump. The joys.

Getting there fabulous views up Glen Lyon
More descending, more muttering but finally it was over. The legs had got me round but they were tired.

A good walk but certainly not the best multiple Munro round that I have completed. Surprised that it was 6k shorter than last months Dun Rig circuit, it felt longer but that was probably the steeper and longer ascents/descents.

Now some beer, footie later in tandem with more Andy Murray joy/anguish ahead. Now that's a sporting day.

Ascent: 1405m

Distance: 18.49km

Time: 7.09

Wildlife: Roe deer; Scotch Argus butterfly (1st this year); Sika deer (two hinds 1st this year); Wheatear; Raven; Meadow Pipit


No comments:

Post a Comment