Thursday 15 July 2021

A lovely walk in Glen Ey to Carn Bhac

Hill: Carn Bhac

Type: Munro

Height: 946m

I wanted a shorter straightforward Munro today as the weather forecast was still potentially wet by mid afternoon but still much better than yesterday. When I looked out of the window I could see the top of the Corbett so a good sign.  A 20 minute drive took me to the stunning and remote Glen Ey (pronounced Eye), I don't expect to see many other people today.

There is an option to twin this with Beinn lutharn Mhor but I am hoping to complete that one as part of another circuit later in the month so today just the single Munro of Carn Mhor.

Abbatoir
There is a good estate track from Inverey, the land here is predominately for grouse and deer shooting. As you start the walk you go past a couple of nice estate houses but the building ahead intrigued me. On the way back it was open with a worker hosing it down, it was the estates butchery chop shop.

Obviously popular but overgrown at this time of year
The track twists and winds as it slowly ascends before opening out at a section known as the Colonels Bed. History says a leader of the Farquarson clan hid here after the murder of a laird, his stone bed part of a deep gorge. Walkers are not advised to go visit it as the gorge is steep and dangerous.

Grassy slope to ascend now in view


Track goes up beside the ruins
The rounded hills can be seen ahead and slightly right as I look. There are various options to get to the top but not surprisingly I chose what I considered to be the most straightforward one. I left the track at the ruined farm of Auchelie to steeply climb a grassy hill, scattering the sheep. 

Standard gun butt
Up and past the gun butts although to be fair this is the only one seen from this angle, before the gradient eased again.

Track runs along the ridge, Carn Bhac ahead
Now a longish high level walk along the estate track taking in the superb views. No noise , no people just me and my thoughts. Before long Carn Bhac comes into sight, it is the big lump on the right ahead so now I can see what I am aiming for.

I am heading for the low point going right of hags before climbing Bhac
The track ends abruptly after a short descent and it is moor and peat hags ahead. Looking at the terrain I headed off to the right descending to cut round what I thought were the bottom of the hags. 

These hags were still mainly dry and thankfully nothing like yesterdays. As always the rough terrain made the walking longer than it looked from the track but really it was not too bad. 

I was heading for the low point on the bealach but took an executive decision and just started heading up the slopes of Carn Bhac. Once I cleared the hags the ground was firm and short grass. 

Watch out for that eagle
Quite a few mountain hares around, nice to see, maybe the new legislation restricting the shooting of them will allow us to see them more often.

Good gradient heading for the top
The final section is boulder scree but no difficulty and them appeared the large cairn. I had expected 3 hours but was delighted with 2.20.

Carn Bhac summit with Beinn a'Ghlo tops behind
There are excellent views over to Beinn a'Ghlo, Pitlochry is really not very far away albeit as the crow flies. Closer to hand is An Socach and behind it the the huge cairn of The Cairnwell, surely the ugliest Munro. Also the possible co star Beinn lutharn Mhor whose slopes look heavily scree scarred, not sure if I fancy it from this approach, there are other/better options.

Descending the silence was literally stunning, frequently standing just taking it all in. This experience you can only get from solo walking. But then the silence was broken by two ravens flying fast overhead heading for a golden eagle which was circling over Carn Greagach.

Going to contour the along the middle of slopes ahead 
From above I surveyed the terrain and decided to take a longer loop back to the track trying to stay above of the hags. Not sure it was really any easier but it was different and I was in no hurry so it was fine.

This was the slow one

Plus, I spooked some red deer, I had seen plenty of fresh droppings so pleased to see them in the flesh. 

Can see the track ahead but still hags to avoid
Nearer the estate track I came across a walkers track which might have been obvious had I continued to the path end on my ascent. Not sure it would have made any significant difference.

Eyes focused right on me, a sight to remember
Once on the estate track a golden eagle rose with a thermal from the corrie on my left. It was beautiful and it circled closer and close. It clearly had seen me but was not bothered. Don't think I have ever been so close to a flying eagle. The walk had been super but that experience made my day.

Camouflaged hills
I followed the track back amazed at how much patchwork patterned hills there were around here. It was beautiful and odd.

Still getting more superb views on the descent as looking east, Morrone then Lochnagar behind stand out.

Cairngorm range on the skyline
But the main mountains are directly ahead and include Ben Avon; Beinn a'Bhuird; Derry Cairngorm; Ben Macdui; Carn a Mhaim; Devils Point and many more, not a bad spot at all.  

Leveret trying to avoid being seen
Back on the track and enjoying the lower level life as I headed back to the car including a leveret trying to hide.

Dark green fritillary, green is on the underwing
I spotted an orange black butterfly, clearly a fritillary but much larger, had to be the dark green variety, a first for the year.
Uncommon Common Blue
After yesterdays horrendous top experience this was the exact opposite, a superb walk in perfect isolation, the sound of silence for long stretches just amazing. I really enjoyed that ramble today.

Ascent: 726m

Distance: 18.8km

Time: 5.01

Wildlife: Red deer; Golden Eagle x2: Short Eared Owl; Stoat; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Wood Pigeon; Wheatear; Sparrowhawk; Song Thrush; Common Blue; Meadow Pipit: Pearl Bordered Fritillary; Small Heath; Black & Golden ringed dragonfly; Mountain hare; Dark Green Fritillary;


No comments:

Post a Comment