Tuesday 20 July 2021

A track all the way to Glas Tulaichean

 Hill: Glas Tulaichean (Green knolls)

Type: Munro

Height: 1051m

I was later in setting off but wanted to make use of the glorious forecast over few days. Opted for a single Munro that I was passing. It can be made into a double or even a treble but I suspected it was going to be far too hot for that.

As I was running late I parked at the exclusive hotel where they give you the privilege of parking with the guests for a fiver. Saved 3 miles of walking important on a hot day.

No go houses into field on left
Headed up the road where Walkhighlands says continue through the farm. A very old jeep with a pleasant young girl stopped and asked me if I was a guest of the farm cottages. Negative reply so I was encouraged to walk back a bit and follow the old railway sign. So I did and as I walked back she could not get her clapped out jeep to start, karma I thought.

On the old track which simply circles below the properties and re-joined the existing track.

This is one of the very few Munros where you could follow the estate track all the way to the trig.

Old railway track scarred track ahead
After a short walk through the glen a sign asks you to leave this, head up a grassy section and rejoin the old railway track which looks down on the estate one. Nice soft grassy walking, occasionally wet but today fine. It was hot though. Finally you have to descend to rejoin the estate track but there is a burn to cross. Not that easy even in these dry conditions so it could be fun at other times.

2 of the 3 Beinn a'Ghlo circuit
After that it is simply a slog following the estate track. Initially steep sections that got me huffing and puffing but before long there were good views on my left over Beinn a’Ghlo hills.

Not sure why a cairn here but 1st view of the top
But really in the early stages not a lot to look at until a cairn is reached which gives a view of the target including the unsightly track. I suppose it is up to each individual whether they approve of these tracks but cannot slag them as I am using it.

Stick figures at top of the track
Then the hill comes alive with people. My dodgy eyes could not confirm if it was people or a fence I could see near the summit. As it turned out it was a junction of people some ascending and some descending. A group of 5 came by descending but barely an acknowledgement, strange people. Then a couple from England who stopped for a chat, there 1st Munro. Whilst we were talking another 3 came by with only one nodding.

As I neared the top there was a small cairn with a worn track. What off roading? I decided to take it and for a short section I was proper hillwalking lol.

Nice view from the trig
Reached the trig and to be fair the panoramic views were absolutely excellent. 2 hours 10, happy with that. Just over from the trig 5 youngsters who again made no eye contact, must have forgotten the aftershave!!

Carn a Righ

Beinn Iutharn Mor on right 

Beinn Iutharn Mor on left and Loch nan Euan with An Socath behind it
Excellent views of the other two Munros but definitely a stretch too far today in these heat. I reckon they would double the ascent and add about another 10-12k to the distance.

Follow track again, hard stuff!!
It was actually breezy up top but as I started my descent the heat built up. Rather than go back via the old railway I stuck to the estate track and found out why they recommend the old railway. You have to cross 3 fords. Just like the one on the ascent all three were just on the line. Quite wide water with a few balancing strides on rocks but avoided wet feet. Again in other conditions these could be interesting.

Old railway track on left contouring hill
With hills on either side the heat was oppressive. Not sweating on the low level track but feeling that the body was overheating, it was a full on warm one. Water from the water sac being used to douse my head and from the burns the hat got a good soaking.

Common Blue
Back at the car and took a small bounty bar out of the rucksack, it was almost melted. When I drove the car away from the hotel the temp was showing as 28deg, for walking in Scotland that is hot.

A good walk but priorities now are a shower and then cold beer time.

Ascent: 702m

Distance: 16.7k

Time: 4.19

Wildlife: Buzzard; Wheatear; Skylark; Wood pigeon; Dark green fritilary; Small Heath; Common Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment