Tuesday 27 July 2021

No wreckage but panoramic views.....Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

Hill: Carn an t-Sagairt Mor (Big cairn of the Priest)

Type: Munro

Height: 1047

I set off this morning to complete the White Mouth hills and hopefully find some plane wreckage. An RAF Canberra had crashed and despite two inquiries no cause could be established. Once again I was just able to squeeze into the car park but I did pay my fee this time, popular hills up here.

Start of walk lower Glen Callater
Sadly the walk begins with a 3 mile walk along a stony land rover track which is signposted 'Path to Glen Clova' aka Jock's Road. Not a lot of fun but at least the views are nice. I passed and chatted briefly to a couple heading for the same hill.

The walk begins proper when Loch Callater is reached. Just before the gate a track sets off on the left ascending through the heather. What a relief to get a proper hill track after the last few days of painful estate tracks.

Height is quickly but easily gained before a burn is crossed and the track then contours the hill for the length of the loch so there are good views looking back down to the loch and up to upper Glen Callater. The track well used, narrow but good condition. About half way along I spotted the couple walking along the side of the loch. The female was pointing to me but they kept going. I can only think they are going to ascend the plateau via Jocks Road and come back this way.

Jocks Road heading to the corrie
The views are superb over the loch and into the top end of Glen Callater, an impressive bowl with huge crags on either side, some view.

Target in sight
Still rising gradually with the track, about 200m gained, then a left turn flanking Creag an Loch and the rounded target is ahead, about 450m to go.

The track is excellent and has been well repaired where required. Having turned away from the loch this now seems pleasantly remote, the sound of silence. Again a very strong wind blowing through but it is not cold.

A slow plod up the track where some old fenceposts would provide some navigation comfort if conditions deteriorated.

I had not spotted any wreckage by the time I reached another track about 100m shy of the summit. Rather than go straight up I followed this track round the south flank for a while but still no bits of wreckage, just a mountain hare forced to break cover. Pleased to have seen quite a few hares around these hills over the last couple of weeks.

Broad plateau between the two cairns
I made my final ascent up the grassy flanks to get to the plateau where the wind was blowing unhindered across the wide plateau. I could see there were two cairns. The one I reached first looked slightly smaller but turned out to be the true summit. I wandered along the broad top to the other. 

Lochnagar point

Glenshee hills
Views are 360deg spectacular, the remaining 4 hills of the White Mouth Munros can be seen. Additionally the easterly Cairngorms of Ben Avon etc. I can also see the ugly mast on the top of The Cairnwell. At this point you are bordering Deeside & Angus.

Descent back to loch, lovely walk and views
I had a wander around and followed the posts back to the other track, still nothing. I had a bit of time pressure so headed down until I bumped into and stopped for a chat with 3 local worthies who walked the hill monthly. They confirmed the wreckage was indeed around and surprised I had not seen any, just my luck.

The Corbett of Creag nan Gabhar in background

Taking in the views I enjoyed the ramble back to the loch end almost stepping on a large frog.

Then the trudge back to the car, my feet were sore, the stones taking their toll and I was into the headwind. The tors of Ben Avon prominent on the skyline.

Purple heather erupts
One thing I did notice was how much of the heather had flowered, beautiful purple patches colouring the landscape. Does it just happen overnight as I had not been aware of until today?

I do not often repeat walks but this is one I will definitely do again. The views were great, I really enjoyed it. And I might even find some of that plane!

Ascent: 897m

Distance: 18.1km

Time: 4.21

Wildlife: Frog; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Mountain hare: Dark Green Fritillary; Small Heath; Red Admiral

No comments:

Post a Comment