Wednesday 20 September 2023

Bagging another hillfort ....Auchterhouse Hill & Craigowl Hill

Hill: Craigowl Hill & Auchterhouse Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 455m


Sadly the summer of weather disappointment continued as I woke up to a grey drizzly morning, low clouds and a cool breeze, even the birds couldn't be bothered to sing. My original target included a beautiful walk in and great views up top. No such views expected today so a change of plans to a walk closer to the coast with a better forecast from 11am onwards.

I parked at the large car park, clearly a spot for dog walkers as well as ramblers. The notice board showed a large variety of walks but oddly did not include my targets.

As it was a short walk I decided to include its near neighbour Auchterhouse hill the site of a hillfort. These two are part of the Sidlaw Hills which geographically are an extension of the Ochils. I could see from here the unsightly masts at the top of Craigowl but that was for later, first Auchterhouse.

Should be going right and heading up!
As it was a last minute plan I had no route planned so my first challenge was to get to the base of the hills through the myriad of trails that go through the woods. Very pleasant it was, a few stop, think about it, turn back and find another trail moments but eventually I came to a gate, beyond which was a lot of dense overgrown gorse bushes and above it masses of bracken. No obvious track, crumbs!

Through the gate a very narrow track took me away from where I wanted to be, through tightly packed scrub and nettles, wish I had worn long trousers. The track was becoming overgrown when I spotted an extremely narrow gap in the bushes, was this what I wanted? I squeezed through more scratched legs but there was a narrow hidden path behind.

I followed this to another gate at over head high bracked. A 3 way choice of routes. I opted for the left one simply because the path through the bracken looked wider. A short climb and whoopee out of the bracken onto heather clad slopes but still climbing.

Reached yet another crossroads, again I kept left sure that the right one would be my route to Craigowl.

It was nice to reach the open top with Auchterhouse ahead albeit partially hidden by some Larch trees, I am sure the occupiers of the fort would have wanted a clearer view.

Beyond the trees the land does look like it could have been man made supporting the hillfort. Views are good of the surrounding area but the Angus hills are still in cloud. I spot a bird in the trees a crossbill (Scottish?), my 1st this year I believe.

Craigowl Hill from Auchterhousew

It was too cold to hang about so backtracked to the cross junction watching a Kestrel hover perfectly against the wind, another bird that has been few and far for me this year.

A short steep descent followed by a longer steeper ascent took me to the viewpoint on Balluderon Hill. Clear views over Dundee and Fife beyond just as a fighter jet from Leuchars screamed overhead quickly disappearing into the clouds.

A high level heather clad breezy walk, some descending and reascending took me to the masts. A fence with two styles. I wondered if the trig point was on the other side of the fenced of mast compound but the main track looked more used so on I went. No hassle if I had to backtrack. The compound was larger than I thought and as I walked by I noticed a raised piece of ground with the trig hiding away. Thankfully there was a style so no big fences to negotiate.

Even here grouse moors dominate
The view NW was good but the rest was compromised by the masts. Craigowl is the highest point of the Sidlaws.

Returned back to a signpost but rather than follow it back to the parking area I decided to get more of a workout and reascend back to the viewpoint and also back to the cross junction, a few extra metres of ascent onto the ramble, walking level improved.

On the heather I saw a stunning bee with a stunning deep orange tipped tail, so vibrant but off it flew before I could snap it. At a shaded spot on the stony path the sun was warm and a few Common Darters were taking advantage of the warmth.

As I descended through the bracken I noticed movement ahead and a buck roe deer poked its head out, saw me and disappeared sharpish. It was a short view but its facial colours and small antlers were stunning.

Finally back into the woods and back to the car. The wooded section seemed much shorter mainly because I was not going down the wrong tracks this time.

Overall not what I expected but a pleasant enough ramble anyway. Now it was time to meet my son at Tynecastle for a big European night, fingers crossed.

Ascent: 485m

Distance: 8.6km

Time: 233m

Wildlife: Kestrel; Roe deer (buck); Orange Tip bee; Common Darter; Raven; Buzzard; Green Veined butterfly; Meadow Pipit; Blue Tit.


No comments:

Post a Comment