Thursday 21 September 2023

Too hot for a bike/hike.....Meall a ' Chrathaich

Hill: Meall a’ Chrathaich (Hill of shaking)

Type: Fiona

Height: 679m

Today it was another one I had identified as a bike/hike, well really a lot of bike and a little bit of hike. Being a hypocrite I was taking advantage of a large wind turbine development.

It was unbelievably/unseasonably warm for this time of year so I was a bit concerned about the uphill cycling even on an ebike you still got to work your legs hard.

Takes longer to get ready for bike/hike

Unusual windfarm gates
My ongoing concern with bike hikes is whether I can even start the cycle as there must be a decent sized opening to get the bike through, there is no way I can lift the weight of an ebike over even a relatively small obstacle or through a kissing gate. Unusually today it was a double wooden gate that was the obstacle with no side opening. Thankfully I could open the main gate but what if it was locked on way back? Time for risk and reward.
Track climbs steeply straight away
It was straight into the climbing and the early stages were very steep and it was so humid the sweat was pouring already.

About a third of the way up the track I spotted a big herd of red deer hinds crossing the track and then another two groups followed easily 40+ hinds. The rut is not far away so I suppose the hinds are grouping together.

Turbines finally coming into view
More continuous uphill slog before I reached the turbines themselves and by then my legs were tired and I was blowing.
Kintail mountains in distance

Carn Mhic Toisich on right
Now easier cycling as I was up and down contouring when I spotted a nice loch, looks like some fishing huts. Also behind the water was Saturdays target Carn Mhic an Toisich, no bike for that one it will be all Shank’s Pony.
Loch Liath

Finally I see my hill
I followed the track until the last turbine but if I hadn't mapped it out earlier there were many opportunities to take wrong turns. It had been a tough cycle, not just the heat but the track was all loose stone which even with my weight on the saddle traction was inconsistent with the wheels going everywhere.
Loch a' Chrathaich

Typical rough stuff

Nice standing stone pity about the turbines
The hill summit was ahead and I decided to go left to the ridge then followed that up left to the summit. A moor section of peat hags and lots of dying heather, more brown than purple, pathless until the trig.
Looking over to Carn Mhic Toisich

View north towards Affric
Looking around there is a great depth of barren/remote land out there, not a place to go solo walkabout in bad weather. The summit is the high point between the moors of Glen Moriston and Glen Affric, wild country.
There was a surprisingly strong wind and a few threatening clouds so I headed back down. It didn't affect me but later I was listening to impressive thunder claps as the rain hosed down.
I can see my bike attached to the turbines steps

The ascent took about 2.15 and the descent about 45m. Fast, regularly over 30 mph as the eyes boggled and the bike bounced on the uneven surface. An adrenalin fuelled fun descent testing speed and braking skills.

I had spotted a couple of workies vans as I sped past so happy that I would find the gates still unlocked.

A good bike/hike/outing but at the finish I was drained, more water please.

Ascent: 665m

Distance: 24.17

Time: 3.01

Wildlife: Red deer hinds 40+, Buzzard. Meadow Pipit. Red Grouse, Pheasant 30+

No comments:

Post a Comment