Wednesday 13 September 2023

Plentiful turbines & Peat hags, the joys of Carn nan Tri-tighearnan

 Hill: Carn nan Tri-tighearnan (Hill of the three landowners)

Type: Fiona

Height: 615m

There are times when I have to give myself a serious talk about why I stay in Scotland. We have a short enough summer and it is pretty frustrating when our so called summer is more of the wind and rain that we have plenty of at other times of the year. Rant over, I cannot change the weather and as the saying goes it is about your clothes and I have plenty of wet weather gear although not all of it keeps the water out!!

So todays get out doors and pretend you are enjoying yourself challenge was a ramble to Carn nan Tri-tighearnan. Apart from bagging a new Fiona this does not have a lot going for it other than wondering about the history of how it got its name.

Reports are mainly focused on its deep and numerous peat hags particularly from the shorter eastern ascent as described in the SMC book.

As I was in no rush I opted to take the longer route from Moy hoping to avoid the worst of the hags, not sure this did.

First issue I had was that I had drawn my route from what I thought was the village centre of Moy but the sign said ‘Moy estate no access’. It was no big issue as I drove the short distance to the start of the wind farm track.

As I changed the rain started to fall. It stayed with me the whole ramble, lightly at first then on-off intensity, hammering down at times.

Sedge Warbler

So the route is a pleasant 20 minute flat walk through the Moy estate grounds listening to and watching the birds. A pair of sedge warblers are noisily calling to each other or unseen others.


Then it is the wind farm which takes about 40 minutes, not exciting in the cool wind and rain.

The long and winding estate track for grouse shooting not walkers

Finally leave the wind farm and onto another track which belongs to the Moy estate. I came across gun butts surprised at how close to turbines they were. I was even more surprised when booming shotgun blasts were heard and close by. I checked the date on my phone and it was the 12th of July, opening day for the upper class scumbags to take fun in killing harmless and practically tame Red Grouse, hope the gun blows up in their faces. Then I thought again, nope slaughter day starts 12thAugust so no idea who was shooting what.

The track continued until it abruptly ended at two large boulders. Luckily the low cloud hid the terrain ahead or I might have just turned back.


So stage 3 was the pathless ascent to the top. Some very deep heather needed careful walking. I was initially heading to my left trying to get to higher ground but soon hit the first of the hags. They were not easy to bypass as they were very long gouges/trenches and at times very deep, well over head high.

After a string of peat hagging I felt the need to check my route and as often happens the large hag detours were sending me the wrong way. So change of direction and a full frontal assault on crossing these involved very cautious progress checking that there were no treacherous bog pits waiting to end my rambling life, in fact my full life.

Found the fence

Out of the gloom a fence appeared and I was very pleased. My prepared plan was to follow this to the top but I didnt think it would be so hard to find.

Typical hags to negotiate and there were many of them

It did indeed take me to the trig summit point but a few detours were required as the fence went through some hags with straight high wet peaty slopes that could not be climbed. A mountain hare should me how to do it and at speed.

At the trig I could hear loud shotgun blasts which were too close for comfort. I had not seen or heard any grouse nor the sound of beaters so it was all a bit odd. Probably a single or pair walking the moor and shooting as they sprung birds, more dangerous for me.

No hanging about so I descended following the fence. The irony was the the clouds lifted so I descent views of where I wanted to go but the rain and wind were at there worst, bizarre.

Turbines still a good walk away

Probably because I could see the and pick my routes the return to the track seemed easier and quicker.

Nature not allowed to take its course for grouse shooters

I had not noticed these on the way up but spotted 3 of these traps, thankfully none were occupied.

The rain was full into my face until I reached the flat estate track where it became quite pleasant and time to enjoy the colour contrasts. Even a luxury train, Royal Scotsman, on the nearby track, have a look at the prices on their website.

Nice colour contrast of thistles and rapeseed

A luxury train i suspect

Another target achieved so it met its objective but I suspect not a ramble that I will be repeating.

Ascent: 451m

Distance: 19.7km

Time: 4.38

Wildlife: Sedge Warbler; Wheatear; Curlew; Tree Pipit; Swallow; House Martin; Mountain Hare; Red Grouse;

No comments:

Post a Comment