Thursday 21 September 2023

Up there with the hottest ramble of the year.....Beinn a Mheadhoin

Hill: Beinn a Mheadhoin (Mountain at the middle)

Type: Fiona

Height: 613m

Another stunning super hot and humid day forecast so I opted to take it gently with my fatigued legs.

A lovely drive into Glen Affric where I was pleasantly surprised to see no evidence of the enormous fire of just a few months ago. Parked up at Chisholm Bridge car park, lots of space as also the starting point for a couple of Munros.

It was an early start but getting changed the midgies were already on the hunt for food, me. And of course I could not find my spray so quickly off.

Track gets climbing straightaway


Initial stage followed a narrow track through a lovely old wood, mainly Scotch pines, with views of mountains quickly appearing. Not so good were the amount of insects buzzing past/around my head.

After ¾ of a mile a junction is reached but all heading to the hills turn right. Going left could be a short circular walk from carpark.


Small cairn and rough stuff ahead
A short walking section until the end of the trees where I made another right turn. A small cairn, fairly well hidden, marks the start of a track that is meant to go to the summit. Oh yeah heard that one before!

The track is narrow with vegetation encroaching and you guessed it, it soon disappears when a small gorge is reached. The damp section seemed to have made everything grow to double its size.

I headed to right hand hump
The next section was a real slog, the terrain was deep, full of holes and hard going. With the sun beating down my clothes were already soaked through. Not a lot of fun.

On the better ground summit ahead
On the slightly better higher ground I was constantly scanning the terrain and spotted a possible track over to my right so headed over to it. It was but again soon disappeared but I had reached the base of the ridge and I finally enjoyed the ramble towards the top. As I came reached the flattish top area I rounded a boulder a ptarmigan flew from its base, I was not expecting that.

Munros plentiful


Looking back over Fasnaklye Forest, where are the trees?

There are two cairns on the flat area filled with small pools so I visited them both just in case.

Excellent views over rugged Glen Affric, the loch and the Affric/Mullardoch Munros, I was so happy not to be doing a bigger outing in this heat, that would have been an endurance test which i would have failed. 

Loch/reservoir Beinn a Mheadhoin. Heading to the right of the trees.

Looking down the loch/reservoir of the same name was flat calm.

I could hear shooting, shotguns not rifles so birds not deer. There were no obvious heather moors around and the pheasant season hadn't started yet so partridge I presume. Never did spot the shooters must have been in the trees.

Descended the same way. This time I found the track before losing it again. I had drifted off course towards the loch as I battled the bad terrain before rerouting and finding the track almost at the bottom.


The slopes of the hill from track back
Back at the car you could wring my top and shorts but at least the midgies were gone.

I reckon the walk would be better late Autumn/winter/early spring before the growth erupts and the path is clearly seen. I am not sure where it gets its name from as for me it is a mountain on the edge of the bigger hills not the middle, but worthy a short ramble in any case.

Ascent: 385m

Distance: 5.8km

Time: 2.26

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Ptarmigan; Siskin 10+; Ringlet;

No comments:

Post a Comment