Sunday 18 August 2024

A hill that lives up to it's name.....Meall Glas

Hill: Meall Glas (Greenish/Grey hill)

Type: Munro

Height: 959m



I really don't have a good reason as to why I had not ticked this one off as I have stayed in the area so often, but with the good weather forecast, today was the day. It is normally combined with Sgiath Cuill which as a double act has a horrible reputation, once done never again sort of thing. But I have plans for a bike/hike for Sgiath on another day so this just a solo.

I left home very early as parking can be limited but no such issues as only 2 other cars in situ when I arrived at Auchnessan in Glen Dochart. It was already hot and the midges were buzzing about but not biting.


Meall Glas on left Sgiath Cuill on right

I caught up with a guy who said he was doing both and had a brief chat. I am no athlete but I was seriously concerned about his ability to do both in this heat and the terrain. To say he was overweight and slow would be understatement but each to their own. He ushered me to go ahead as he was already struggling, good luck I thought, never saw him again.


The bracken worsens as you go higher

I remembered the initial ascent when I did the Corbett a couple of years back, pleasant enough with the trees and burn, steep enough to get everything going but also today the bracken was sprouting, I reckon in a few weeks time the growth will cover over the trail resulting in a not so pleasant bracken bash.

Further up I also recognised the spot where I cut off to tackle the Corbett but today I stayed on the main trail, what little there was of that at times.


Getting closer

Good view of full ridge

The middle section is on and off track, trekking through peat hags and bogs but at least the good visibility meant you could keep refocusing on the direct line. Certainly it is a large area particularly noticeable when looking from above on the descent. The breeze up here was stronger so less flying things. 


Beinn Challum

As I climbed the views were improving, peaks were starting to appear all around.

The last section is the most interesting and also by far the steepest but with no real issues. The ascent is mainly grassy, dotted with boulders but with the clear visibility there was no issues avoiding the dangerous crags. Actually these would be more dangerous on the descent particularly in bad weather. To be fair to its name the hill was very green with the grey crags and boulders for contrast.

I took a direct route of ascent and the steepness took me by surprise a couple of times. Looking at the graph some 40-50% sections of gradient, no wonder hands were being used. No difficulty just using those hands to balance on the steep slopes when required.


Easy gradient to the cairn

Finally I reached the top of the steep grassy section which then left me with a pleasant upward stroll to the cairn. 


The views were magnificent, indeed because of the unseasonable clear air distant hills that should have been hazy were picked out. Take your pick from the distant Ben Nevis, Glencoe hills, all the local Munros and many, many more.


The Corbett of Beinn nan Imirean

Heading down Ben More behind

As inevitably happens on the descent I found a track that would have made the steep grassy slopes a lot easier but that's life. Looking down on the peat hagged terrain it looked both quite spectacular and inhospitable.

I was taking my time and enjoying the views, something that seems to have become rarer, too many boulder/scree descents.

I met and chatted to a couple of other walkers but this is a wide landscape and people could be easily around but missed.


Handsome Cockerel

Spent a few minutes looking for trout in the shallow water

Some more bog hopping then back the lower slopes and the real heat. Amazing that the forecast for tomorrow is cloud and rain and snow predicted midweek for the Northern tops, unreal.

Still this did the job, a stress free good weather ramble. At the car the midgies were out in force, a sign of the year to come!

Ascent: 872m

Distance: 11.9km

Time: 5,2

Wildlife: Red Grouse; Buzzard; Common Frog; Meadow Pipit; Raven; Orange tip (m+f)

No comments:

Post a Comment