Thursday 8 August 2024

A rough wee ramble.....Creag na Doire Dubhie

Hill: Creag na Doire Dubhie

Type: Sub2k

Height: 571m



My intention had been to get a higher hill on my to-do list out of the way today but the weather forecast had turned brutal for this time of the year. Instead of the hoped for blue skies and higher temperatures the reality was the opposite. A months worth of rain was predicted bringing with it flash flooding, this was not helpful at all as one of my optional Munros had a river crossing, would I get across or even worse would I get back over on the descent? Throw in cloud level at around 600m with very poor visibility on the upper hill plus the bad weather included 40-50mph gusts up top, rethink required.

However, I did have a back, this Sub2k which I had intended to do tomorrow on my way home.


View of summit from parking area

I had this slotted in for completing last month but weather snubbed that again. I was within 5 minutes of the parking area with the rain at its heaviest of the morning. I was thinking that I was going to be sitting in the car for a while but just as I reversed into the spot the rain went off, finally a good omen perhaps.

I was starting at the normal point of the Halfway house bridge, room for about 4 cars if parked nicely.



Headed down the track beside the burn and found my first obstacle of the expected burn to cross but not the fallen tree over the track, easily bypassed.

Soon reached the end of the trees and the gate onto the open moorland where the small ridge with the large cairn was clearly in view.


Left to Loch Caoldair but right for me

There was a good track until I reached a Y junction, slightly beyond Loch Glas-choire which lies on your right.


Looking back to Loch Glas-choire

Took the now narrow right fork which although it does not look much it does continue up to the corner of the deer fence.



There was a faint ATV track going over the hump in front of me but I elected to follow the fence to its next junction. Some deer tracks but mainly heather bashing, poorer walking, sometimes on a steep incline but I did make it to the fence corner where the gate was lying on the ground, not me guv!



All off route from now on through the boggy ground, quite deep heather growth and lots of new growth bracken breaking through. As always pick your own line and keep climbing. And as always there were a few minor false tops before the flat area is reached with the large cairn nearby.


View North to Creag Dubh

Although there had been a few spots of rain I was dry and despite the low clouds and the greyness the views were not too bad at all. An hour to the top which was what I anticipated.


Rough ground ahead

From here I could see another track on the other side of the loch. The ground between me and a small very bright green patch at the start of the track looked rather rough. I assumed the green to be sphagnum moss. As I had plenty of time I decided to make it a circular route.


Green patch with track beyond

I took a line to aim for but it turned out to be far worse than the ascent route. Although the contours looked similar it felt much steeper and the terrain was just awful. Very steep wet ground, laced with heather and boulders with a bottom layer of bracken. In a months time when that bracken has grown forget it. It was only 15mins of descent but not at all pleasant.



Finally I was on the flatter heather where I headed towards the deer fence intending to follow it round to the track. Glad I did head towards it as I stumbled along a track which took me all the way to green area better than following the deer fence. The track was odd being there, it was as if a small digger had dragged its bucket along behind it clearing a strip between the heather. Whatever the reason I was glad of it, saved a lot of heather bashing.

Reached the green bit which was not moss but a small perfect fertile grassy area, looking around everything else is moorland, why did this patch develop, nature can be wonderful.

The track I wanted was only about 50m away but the deer fence was now a double one, why? I thought I was going to have to climb but I wandered down a bit and found an old iron gate, job done.

Then it was just a case of following the winding track back to the road keeping an eye out as there were big droppings, coos around, but never saw them.


Common Heath

A short road walk to find another car parked up, not the only person with a plan B today.

Another new hill bagged, a decent bit of dry fresh air, so not entirely a wasted trip. A fine wee hill with the advantage of a high start, perfect.

Ascent: 309m

Distance: 6.49

Time: 2.15

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Willow Warbler: Chaffinch; Stonechat; Barnacle Geese; Common Heath,

No comments:

Post a Comment