Saturday 8 May 2021

A long moorland grind but a fine Corrie and 50 up.....Stob Coire a'Chearcaill

Hill: Stob Coire a'Chearcaill (Peak of the circular corrie)

Type: Corbett

Height: 771m

We now have our Covid freedom but recently life for me has been one of changing plans. I couldn't do my planned itinerary but decided to complete the Fort William section. Covid freedom wouldn't be the same without Covid vaccinations. I had my second one earlier in the week and it had a much more debilitating effect than the first.

So with weaker legs, dodgy breathing and wondering about my fitness I set out on my journey. Not just Covid the bloody weather has gone nuts with heavy snow forecast in many places. As I drove through Lomond, Orchy, Glencoe plenty of white stuff on the hills but as I pulled into the Coran ferry the Morvern hills were clear, I could see the back of my target, the highest in Ardgour, with minimal snow and some blue patches up there. Along with my first ferry journey of the year I was excited.

Got to the start point at Blaich and the expected 'no parking notices' were in place but pulled into a grass strip opposite, nae problem. One of those days what to wear? It was certainly going to be cold up top, strong chance of snow showers so I went for winter gear.

Good trail
I knew it would be a plod of a hill and the initial section is an estate track that goes all the way to the top moor. Down here my winter gear was a mistake as I was sweating going through the sheltered tree section. I was not feeling brilliant due to the jag and if it had been snowing hard I probably would have said no way! But it wasn't so headgear off, zips down, jacket vents opened. I ascended the trail to the accompaniment of a calling cuckoo, was it calling for a mate or laughing at me, 'cuckoo', quite probably.

Reach the cairn and get my first view of the ridge
Moor reached and the first objective is a large cairn which is reached by pathless walking across the moor, some awkward walking but under these relatively dry circumstances it was fine. It is just a slog for me today but at least the all round views are superb, on the ascent, mainly the Glenfinnan hills. Carefully watching tops engulfed in a heavy grey cloud which disappeared leaving a fresh coat of white stuff. And wondering when one was going to engulf me.

Attractive sweeping ridge
After the cairn another long stretch but this time your view is focussed on the crags surrounding Coire a'Chearcaill looking good.

The terrain becomes more rocky and slightly tougher walking but a fine ridge leads you to the top. 

Trig and the large cairn, a good windbreak
Suddenly and a bit unexpectedly the trig is seen then soon reached and the large cairn was welcome shelter from that wind. For the last 200+ metres the wind has been raw but at least I was still dry. 2hours 10m, I will take that with these dodgy legs. 

Morven hills left side heading to Glenfinnan range surprisingly snow free

Looking over to Glencoe hills
From here the superb views focus on Morven hills, still without snow and the Mamore's & Glencoe ranges with plenty of the stuff.

Just a superb view
It was interesting during the moor walk watching the number of herring gulls that were soaring over the tops, pairs and larger groups, rising from Loch Linnie and descending down to Loch Eil. Must have been over a hundred over the course of the walk. Mating time or just having fun surfing the wind?

In poor conditions the corrie could come into play
Nourished but with one eye on the weather fronts I headed back down, examining the views into the corrie, deep and isolated. Red deer must be in there. I had seen plenty of signs of them but no live beasts. However back to the corrie, in full winter conditions or bad weather and with a cornice one would need to take care up here.

Yip that's the long moorland trek back down
The descent was a repeat of the plod up but this time the views are dominated by Big Ben and the surrounding hills, Dearg & the Aonach's. Plenty of snow and I am sure a few tourist walkers might be regretting their choice to ascend it today.

Aonach (left), Dearg (centre) and Big Ben
Still plenty of snow showers over Glenfinnan hills and over the Ben but other than a few spots hitting me still dry.

Steam power
A plod back to the car without incident. But the unmistakeable sound of the Jacobite had me looking and then spotted across the waters of Loch Eil, a great sight and sound. An enjoyable walk for the views of the corrie and the 360 degree vista of hills but not so much for the plod. 

Tight, tired legs and a beer deserved for number 50, sadly will be canned or bottled. But at least I can choose whether to walk a local hill tomorrow or relax before Saturdays commitment. 

Looking back at the hill from Loch Eil it is definitely a featureless nothing but as always it depends how and where you look at something that angle not its best.

Ascent: 828m

Distance: 14.7km

Time: 4.11

Wildlife: Cuckoo (heard); Meadow Pipit; Blue Tit; Grey Heron; Buzzard: Curlew; Red Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment