Saturday 22 May 2021

Ben Tirran

Hill: Ben Tirran (aka The Goet) (Hill of the hillocks)

Type: Corbett

Height: 896m

What a difference a day makes. Although yesterday had showers today's forecast was much bleaker and the reality did not disappoint. Heavy rain, becoming bright, becoming heavy rain, which then turned to prolonged hailstones, back to bright for a spell then light rain that stayed on for the rest of the walk. Did we not use to say ‘Flaming May’ because of its high temperatures? Certainly not today.

Today I was tackling Ben Tirren which is a bit of a misnomer as the as it is not the actual top, the real one nearby is called The Goet, so why is the summit not known by that, answers to SMC not me.



My walk started in the rain from the walkers car park, just over the bridge in the direction of Glen Doll, god forbid not the Glen Clova hotel parking. 

Looking back to the hotel start

In pouring rain I followed the footpath sign for Glen Esk. When I reached the open hillside the rain had gone off. The path has been reconstructed recently with a mix of traditional track and stone ladders. 

Clouds coming my way I love it when they hug one side of the hill

Eyes watching the clouds coming down Glen Doll knowing that they were going to engulf me sooner rather than later.

After yesterdays efforts I was blowing a bit and my legs a tad reluctant to drive on up the hill. I could see walkers ahead and then seemed to meet them all at Loch Brandy. Did not see anyone on the walk after this. 

Loch Brandy

Loch Brandy is a spectacular water filled corrie with the slopes of The Snub on the left. I was going to go up via the Snub but the looming clouds and rain put paid to that so the easier route for me.

Taking the easy way round

The improved path continues for some way up the Broom Shank but half way up the rain turned to hailstones making the easier ascent more gruelling. Some noise as they thudded off my hood. 

The Snub disappearing in that cloud not hugging one side any more

Still I was glad I did not climb the Snub as nae views. I had seen a couple of mountain hares but suddenly out of the rain this monster sat on the track just ahead of me. When it moved I thought it was a wallaby, it was huge. Big grey body but still with its winter white socks. Of course by the time I got the camera out of the dry bag it was gone but a sighting I will never forget.

Loch Brandy with hailstones

Slightly higher up same view without the hail

The problem with hood up, head down, rain/hail hammering down is even an easy ascent seemed never-ending as you look at your feet. Finally the cairn reached and dry again.

Plateau & hags

Now for the featureless plateau, at least I got some views of my route as this can be tricky for navigation in poor visibility. As per yesterday I also spied the peat bogs but thankfully not as severe.

Keeping my head down as I dodged the hags I followed the deer fence on the left and instinct kicked in, it did not seem right even though there were some small route cairns, why when there is a huge deer fence to follow? I should have gone through a gate way back and come up the other side of the fence.

I knew that I was vearing away from the route so I decided to climb the fence. Easy apart from my hanging foot got stuck in the wire  so quite a pickle to get out of, few sweary words then onward.

Still snow patches as I look down to Loch Wharral

Continuing featureless terrain and this time I hung too far right, quick position check and realised my mistake, I was heading for Ben Tirran not The Goet, 

Goet summit trig

I climbed back up towards the deer fence and found the trig marking the Corbett summit. And of course looking across there was a gate in the deer fence right here!! Numpty.

I was tempted to retrace my route but elected to continue the circular route. 

Ben Tirran top 

Firstly heading across the barren top to reach another cairn, this time Ben Tirran would you believe. Then an easy descent across grass and heather with excellent views of the corrie surrounding Loch Wharral, another impressive piece of landscape.

Loch Wharral

I could see an estate track from Loch Wharral so headed towards it. When I reached the gun butts there is a path of sorts but it was more a running stream but it got me there.

Green Glen Clova below the clouds

A long walk down the estate track in light rain but with good views of the very green Glen Clova.

Sad times

I was going to cross the burn near the deforestation but it was running high and very fast so crossing would have been dangerous. Risk averse I followed the estate track down to Wheen cottage and accepted the extra road walking. Looking at the deer fences down here any cross country stuff probably would have met these.

A cuckoo called at the start of the walk, how often has that happened recently? Along this minor road section both male and female calling trying to find each other.

A very damp walk to say the least but it had its moments of excellent views to remember.

Ascent: 896m

Distance: 17.2km

Time: 4.12

Wildlife: Mountain hare; Cuckoo (m&f): Swift (1st this year); Meadow Pipit; Red Grouse; Pheasant: Curlew; Chaffinch

No comments:

Post a Comment