Tuesday 11 May 2021

Definately a white mountain today and another fine Corrie.....Beinn Bhan (Great Glen)

Hill: Beinn Bhan (Great Glen) (White Mountain)

Type: Corbett

Height: 796m

My legs were stiff and achy, there is no doubt that Covid jab took its toll. But overnight there was doubts about my planned walk on Saturday due to an incoming storm apparently! A different type of storm  from the snowstorms we are experiencing. So decided to get a walk in today just in case.

The forecast was similar to yesterday, lots of showers snow and hail on the higher tops. Out for my pre brekkie walk I noted that the local hills had received a fresh dusting overnight. Looking for somewhere local I decided to do the walk covered by Gordon & Liz earlier in the week. But rather than be a copy cat I decided to walk this anti clockwise. Looking at the map the gradient looked easier, selfishly thinking about my poor body.

A short drive to the beautiful Glen Loy and the walk start at Inverskilavulin. Construction work at the bridge but the workies okayed my parking in the turning area. This already looked a steep climb from here.

Shooting & fishing sign
I had to laugh at the sign on the riverside, warnings to kayakers. Today there was barely a trickle of water but clearly it can get full and hairy.

Start with initial climb up the middle gorge and trees
I took the track around the estate buildings and holiday homes ( not cheap a self catering studio from £325 a night!!) and started following the various on-off tracks through the dead bracken which in a few weeks will be a different beast. Then reached the stream and followed it up. 

Lots of lovely small waterfalls cascading well, presumably snow melt. I saw a grisly scene quite high up a dead sheep obviously the carcass being eaten by scavengers, another reason not to drink from a burn low down. I was just reading this morning about two kids drinking water from a burn, got e-coli and both had serious kidney damage.

Crossed the burn here
I was already painfully slow and struggling as I crossed the burn heading for the old broken fence line. 

From the fence it was a case of very slowly plodding up the grassy moor terrain. I have never had so much leg/backside muscle ache on a walk ever. And I don't think I have taken so many short pauses, again ever. This really was a case of mind over matter, I could easily have turned back but was determined not too, I had plenty of daylight.

Coire Mhuillinn
Thankfully I had on off views of the top ridge and good views into Coire Mhuillinn, excellent excuses for many a breather.

I had a small rock formation as my target. I knew this was far from the top but it would be the beginning of the end of the steep gradient. Light snow showers on and off so hood stayed up.

Finally reached the rocks and I knew from the map, now confirmed with eyesight, that the gradient eased which was gratefully received. Motivation improved. 

Trig just visible middle of photo glad the snow shower passed through 
A lot rockier underfoot along with a covering of soft snow and then the trig was spotted. It looked too far away!!

Excellent views from summit
Obviously it wasn't that far and in 5 minutes I was at the summit in 2.05. I would have sworn it was another hour onto that with all these stops, very surprised indeed.


Panorama looking North
But the effort was well worth it. The views of snow topped hills was long and far and the vista was the full 360 degrees. The snow showers scudding through all round made everything atmospheric. 

Meall na Teanga snow topped beside Loch Lochy
Snow underfoot, snow topped clouds, blue skies, dark grey clouds and a rusty landscape, not bad at all. 

Loch Arkaig
I loved the views down to Loch Arkaig, memories flooding back.

Perfect horseshoe ridge
Now the fine long ridge walk to get me back. It is a proper high level horseshoe with old fenceposts as a guide if required. 
About to get a snow shower

The only down side was the heaviest snow of the day walked the ridge with me only ending as I descended. At least it was side on then at my back.

The descent grassy slopes (taken on my ascent) with the Graham Stob a Ghrianain behind

The long grassy rocky descent was a scabby one, quite horrible walking. The only satisfaction was that I had not ascended this route. With the way I was feeling a seemingly never ending climb with my nose stuck into the grass I would probably have turned back, my motivation would not have matched the effort required.

Before long the estate houses came into view, I took my time, no ankle twists  wanted with freedom to travel out there.

Back at the car in under 4 hours absolutely delighted with that. It took a lot of effort today but so glad I continued as those views will remain in memory. Another walk with lots of deer prints and droppings but still no sight of the mysterious reds.

Back to the car to find walk cancelled for tomorrow. Time to rest this body anyway until I feel normal.

Ascent: 776m

Distance: 9.1km

Time: 3.49

Wildlife: Cuckoo (m & f calling); Woodpecker (knocking); Wheatear; Meadow Pipit; Robin; House Martin; Blackbird; Blue Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment