Saturday 22 May 2021

Avoiding the coos on Bishop Forest Hill

Hill: Bishop Forest Hill

Type: Sub2k

Height: 392m

This hill can be climbed from Glenkiln reservoir but looking at the map it was more straightforward for me to ascend from the West after Killyleoch Hill. 

After a meandering narrow drive I reached the point I was going to start from. I could see a quad bike track heading up the flank of the wood. But and a big but! There was a coo feeding station in the way and there were plenty of Belted Galloways spread around most of them looking at me. They also looked heavy with calf so I drove along the road for half a mile and found a road junction at fab named Marglolly Bridge. I was aware that the local farmer is not a fan of cars parking at his places so I carefully parked up, half offroad, blocking hopefully nobody.

ATV track at the start
The positive was another faint quad bike track straight up the steep slope.

Not a lot to say about the ascent, head down, avoid the fresh coo pats and get to the heather at the top. 

Summit ahead
From the top some rough ground but the top was straight ahead, the large cairn standing out. A mixture of rough ground, animal tracks and the quad bike track made short work of the ascent.

Massive pile of stones for a wee hill
At the top there is a trig and a very large cairn well above par for the size of the hill, must be a reason.

Head to the rounded hill before descending
Looking across to the east I recognised the pylon of See Morris Hill and to the south Bennan, some more Sub2k's conquered.

On the top my enjoyment was spoiled. I received a disturbing phone message about tax issue, probably a scam but there was reality to it, concerning. I was going to do a loop but needed to get back to check this out. 

Remote moorland car in the centre
So straight back the same way. From the top there is a good view of the moorland. 

The coos shad stayed near the feeder
Thankfully the coos had not spread themselves to far from the feeding station so no risk.

A short walk but good views, worth the minimal effort but take the loop if you can. As I changed the farmer came past and gave me a nod, good no hassle.

Ascent: 194m

Distance: 2.7km

Time: 1.01

Wildlife: Red Grouse


No comments:

Post a Comment