Friday 24 June 2022

The special sound of silence.....Meall a' Chaorainn

 Hill: Meall a’ Chaorainn

Type: Graham

Height: 705m

It was a rare occasion to actually begin a walk from my back door. No driving, yipee. So you would imagine a long lie but not the case. Awoke at normal time, faffed about and had a light brekkie and on the trail by 8am.

The hill is split into 4 sections. From the start there is a stiff climb to reach the moor. Then a long crossing across a full on peat bog moor. Finished with a short but steep grassy climb. Then the descent.



Section 1. It is a long time since I have had such a mud squelching start to a walk but perversely I enjoyed it. The SMC book advises you to cross over the burn but I did not see much benefit to that until higher up, more on that later. The steady climb follows the burn which becomes an impressive gorge. The narrow muddy track mixes with rocky slabs and feels like a proper hill walk. Be aware that this route is also used by the Munro baggers for Fionn Bheinn so do not follow the ones in front you might end up with a stiffer climb than expected.

Cross here

1st view, right or left?

Headed left via the hags

Red deer on the ridge I am heading for
Section 2. Once I reached a hydro water outlet the hill was in view. Although at this level you know you are right in a peat bog, only you dont know how bad it is. Decision time do you want to go up the right or left of the hill? The centre looks like it has a scree slope protecting it. I decided to go left as the distant ground looked higher and possibly drier but it is still a fair bit away. I spotted a herd of red deer on said high ground, if it good enough for them it is good enough for me. The bog crossing was done with great care. The water pools are vast in places and much stopping and deciding your route but I enjoyed that. At times, when testing the terrain, the pole was disappearing so even the so called good ground I had identified had to be treated with caution.

Looking south to the Corbetts I had originally planned for today

Fionn Bheinn

Big Torridon stuff in the clouds
Section 3. The climb up the grassy slope is simple enough but interestingly higher up it becomes tiered, that was a bit weird. As I neared the top I could hear a helicopter very loud above me but in the cloud. From the noise it was hovering, had I set off my alarm? It stayed for a few minutes before flying away. A break in the cloud and I spotted it, definitely the rescue helicopter from Inverness. The top is a pleasant carpet flat grassy plateau, nice walking. Some say it is one of the best viewing spots and I’m not going to disagree. A really pleasant spot to view many of the nearby Torridon peaks, the Fannichs and Fisherfield Munros and much more. Of course Fionn Bheinn can be included but a longer Bog crossing is required so not for me today.

Peat hag hell

Finish in sight
Section 4. From the top the vastness of the peat bog moorland becomes apparent. There appears to be a section to the right of the bog which has more dry land and even a faint path. Once down the path is a very faint ATV track which comes and goes but does eliminate a lot of the bog but certainly not all of it. Eventually I reached the new estate track which leads to a big fence and a locked gate. I followed it down until I spotted an old hydro outlet, crossed the burn here and followed the outward track back to the start.

Despite the terrain I really enjoyed my walk today. Fitness wise I felt good which always helps. The views were excellent. But it was the feeling of solitude and the sound of silence which was so rewarding. Apart from the sounds of the natural world there was minimal other noise to spoil the day, helicopter excepted.

Section

Ascent: 561m

Distance: 8.5km

Time: 3.34

Wildlife: Red Deer (hinds); Red Grouse; Oystercatcher; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Chiffchaff; Common Lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment