Friday 24 June 2022

Far away Fara

 Hill: The Fara (Ladder)

Type: Corbett

Height: 911m

I started off from home, full of optimism on a very nice morning. As I neared my destination my mood was darkening along with the clouds. The clouds had lowered significantly to about 1500m, most tops hidden, will I, wont I? When I parked up the clouds lifted and I could see the ridge, doubt it will last but here goes.


There are all the issues at Dalwhinnie with the railway crossing being closed so I looked for an alternative route. When I did the Munro across the way a few years ago I noticed an estate track going so far, the estate road is private but could I meet up with it on the hill?

At least I can see the ridge

Right forest break?

Yip gate ahead
Not the best start as deforestation in progress, no parking signs, but I parked up regardless. Walked the road a bit and hoped that the firebreak I was going up was the right one. I would soon find out. If correct a deer fence with a gate. If not a deer fence to climb. Thankfully I met the gate and after a short tramp across the moor and I came across the track.

Found track cloud coming down
Followed this up for quite a bit, a lot better than slogging over the moor.

Left the track and then it becomes a case of heading for the ridge and plodding up it.

Of course the cloud had fully descended and light rain was on. I was going light today but luckily I had crammed in waterproofs to the limited space.

Decent short grass before the peat hags
This was a hill of many summits. Maybe not so bad on a clear day but today ridge after ridge kept looming out of the greyness. Where was this top? The odd shape would fly across silently, even the birds could not be bothered calling in this weather.


Finally got there as a large construction appeared out of the gloom. Huge cairn with some shelter to squeeze a few in.

Normally the walk would be along the ridge and back alongside the loch but nae views today - no ridge walk, so a shorter walk. Met one other person who was coming up the traditional route but was going to abandon the ridge walk as well.

Cloud lifts briefly to descend the north ridge

Found the track

What kind?

Back down the same way. From time to time the clouds would lift and there was a fleeting view of what was out there.

Posing Pied Wagtail
Found the track so a quick descent. Not fully what I was after but it has been on my list for so long that it is nice to get it ticked off.

Ascent: 568m

Distance: 11.2km

Time: 3.07

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Pied Wagtail; Blue Tit; Skein of Geese; Black Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment