Friday 24 June 2022

No cairn just a trig.....Carn Mor

 Hill: Carn Mor (Big cairn)

Type: Corbett

Height: 804m

A bright but breezy start as I parked up at the Lecht mine parking area, got the last place, 4-5 cars only. Final Ladder Hill to bag.

I decided to do the route anti clockwise, beginning by ascending the very steep ATV track which starts after crossing a burn just before the mine. This meant keeping the more gently sloping path for the descent.

Gun butts hence the ATV track

Looking across to the descent
It was not difficult but initially pretty steep as I huffed and puffed my way up. A few stops to take in the views as well as getting my breath back. There are many false tops so be prepared. 


Hags before the top of initial ascent
After the ATV track there are the dreaded hags. Many tracks but I expect most are deer and they come and go. Indeed as I climbed I spotted a herd of red deer hinds climbing the hill to my left, once they got wind of me they disappeared.

Find your way through the hags and then the going becomes soft moss, very pleasant walking.

Carn Mor in middle next hags to the right
I reached a fence which can be followed for only a short stretch.

After I left the fence I could see Carn Mor but had to veer away from it to miss the worst of the next peat bog. If you find it there is a decent track through them but in other conditions maybe not visible.

Round top of Carn Mor ahead
Take your own bearing and head back cross country contouring the hill. At the top the way ahead is clear. After more rough moorland a track is found which goes all the way to the top.

The wind was now strong and cold, where was this warm southerly?

At the top I spotted a pair of Dotterel, lovely mountain birds, my first of this year and maybe even for a couple of years.

Views were acceptable 6 out of 10 but not one to remember for long. Looking over to Ben Rinnes and Corriehabbie, two of last years hills. The giants of Lochnagar etc were covered in cloud and looked a bit grim.

S bends of the descent route
For my descent route I retraced for a bit before heading for the ridge avoiding most of the hags. Now followed the ridge to Carn Dulack before descending via the track back to the mine and start.


Looking back to Carn Mor
The middle section was a bit of a slog across the top of the barren moor plateau. Throw in that very strong cold wind in my face for most of it.

Looking across to the scent track
Enjoyed the descent track and the amount of foraging orange bees were amazing. Their colour so vibrant and distinctive.

A slightly quicker walk than I expected but a good circuit ramble.

Ascent: 491m

Distance: 11.6km

Time: 3.17

Wildlife: Red deer; Red grouse; Dotterel; Black Headed Gull; Bilberry (mountain)Bee; Meadow Pipit.


No comments:

Post a Comment