Saturday 31 December 2022

A ramble along the Southern Upland Way to Scaw'd Fell

Hill: Scaw’d Fell

Type: Sub2k

Height: 549m



Due to the heavier than expected fall of snow and the treacherous road conditions it was plan B today, only 2 miles of driving instead of 22 and that short trip was interesting enough. As I descended from the main road to the walk start it was the 1st time that I have used the cars off road setting and it coped well with the tricky descent.



As I set off I met the father and son farmers and had a wee chat. I enquired about any livestock issues on route. I didn't like the hesitation before he replied ‘just the big cats’, more of which later.

My objective was Scaw'd Fell which lies southeast of Moffat and is one of the Ettrick Hills. Its summit is clear but its flanks have large areas of forestry much of it deforested and replanted. I had read reports of walkers going up via the deforested areas and found it tough going. With snow on the ground no chance I was doing that on a solo trip. I was surprised as the OS map showed a longer walk along the SUW came to a trail tat ascended bordering a plantation before cutting through to open ground almost at the summit. That was my plan if the trail still existed. Google Maps satellite view looked as if it still was.

Thought the clouds coming my way were more snow bearing ones but not to be
The day was bright enough and soon after walking the temperature had risen enough to take off my gloves. The route is straightforward following the Southern Upland Way so even with snow on the ground it was easy going. These farmers like to keep their sheep enclosed as I must have crossed 6 cattle grids whilst walking through their ground. Went to take a phone snap and realised I had left it on the charger in the car, not smart. Did have my small digital but it had its own trauma, more later.

Detour

Doesn't really capture the extent of the tree devastation
After the final grid there is a no further access sign describing how to take the detour due to forestry work ahead.. Had a look at it and it seemed to go well away from where I wanted to be. It was a Sunday and I could not hear any workings. There were a set of tyre tracks in the snow but not a big lorry. So, onward I went sticking to the main trail. Not long after I came to an area of tree devastation, probably last years storm, but some of the cuttings looked fresher than that. From the amount of trees down the SUW would have been blocked but not today. As I looked at the carnage a Sparrowhawk flew past my nose amazing flying twisting and turning through the branches.

Scaw'd Fell in distance. If wanted the poor terrain route go right, I went left as seen.

There are a few main offshoot tracks but I had prepared a route last night so still on my track although detour required if wanted to climb the deforested zone. Good thing about snow walking is the animal tracks. Plenty of hare and roe deer had walked this section recently.


As I puffed my way up a steeper section my blurry vision spotted two things sitting down looking at me. Oops time to get the glasses on and yes, it was the big cats. Two stone lions sitting at the driveway to a small very remote cottage.

Shortly after my wildlife encounter I broke out into the open area. The deforested and replanted area was on my right and the ridge of Scaw’d Fell was not that far away but as said earlier that route was not for me. I was wondering whether my track still existed or had gone with the workings but delighted to find it was still there.

Cold caravans
Up the track passing an old caravan until I reached the end of this track where another two caravans were. The gradient had been excellent as almost on 500m level without trying. Just another 50m of ascent.

Track into short tree section
My map showed a small track to the left which isn’t evident until you are actually at it. This short section of forest was the hardest bit of the day as at least a dozen trees were down which involved crawling under, scrambling over, lots of sharp bits before breaking out again on the gentle flanks of Coomb cairn, and then easy slopes onto Scaw’d Fell itself. At the summit the minimal fence post marks the spot. I realised no camera in rucksack pocket. I knew I last used it just before I entered the trees. Good views all around, Capel Fell the nearest biggie, but no hanging about it was find that camera time. Another good thing about snow walking is you easily retrace your steps. I was lucky and found it below a tree I had crawled under. It must have got forced out of the rucksack pocket as I did my assault course training. As I went back over the obstacle course I could hear a Roe deer’s warning bark. I’m sure everything around would have heard my moans and curses.

My return route is the line just above the trees

Following my footsteps back. Note how hills in distance on other side of M74 had no snow


Still it was a lovely walk back although it was turning colder again particularly when the sun disappeared. This route is definitely preferable to other options and if those trees had not been down it would have been a breeze. Largely unpopulated is this area and today I was the only walker around, a new adventure and solitude.

Ascent:476m

Distance: 14.9km

Time: 3.46

Wildlife: Buzzard; Wren; Raven; Sparrowhawk; Blue Tit



No comments:

Post a Comment