Thursday 8 December 2022

Meikle Says Law

Hill: Meikle Says Law

Type: Sub 2k

Height: 535m

A dull day was forecast so I opted for a straightforward ramble. Meikle Says Law is the highest of the Lammermuir hills and also the highest in East Lothian. Andrew Dempster in his book 'The Hughes' describes the Lammermuir hills as the southern equivalent of the Monadhliath range in the Highlands. Rolling plateau with few distinct summits. I can relate to that

As I drove through the scenic village of Gifford there was brief hope for the ramble with some blue sky showing and the moor looking as scenic as it did the last time I visited for Spartleton.

Before long my first obstacle of the day was encountered as the back road over Redstone Rig was closed to all vehicles. A look at the map and measured just over an extra kilometre each way from the junctio0n to the walk start. That was fine as only a short ramble today.

As I walked the tarmac the Fallago Rig wind farm was on my right rising above the moor. Sadly those turbines are where I was heading but I shouldn't be going through the turbines. This area is another grouse moor but I was surprised to see gun butts just a few yards from the road.

Ahead I could see flashing lights but I reached the turn off before hitting the works, whatever it was.

The signpost shows that this is also an ancient walkway, part of the Herring Road, now recognised as a Heritage Pass. I described this in my Spartleton walk description. They were hardy souls these herring women, not an easy life at all.

Not the track on left
I knew from the Walkhighlands walk description that there is an immediate steep descent, probably 50 metres at least and it was steep. The renovated Faseny Cottage on my left, chairs outside, probably a fancy bothy for the grouse shooters lunch.

I could see a track on my left accessed by an expensive looking footbridge. Not a vehicle bridge as too narrow and the ATV’s would use the ford, thought the shooters would as well.

Thats the track I want

But this was not my crossing, I had to get across the ford about 100 metres along, which after last night's rain was running highish. Some slimy stepping stones to negotiate, not fully successfully as my boots did get wet. 


I haven't seen one of these traps for a while. The last time in Perthshire a dead stoat was in one but thankfully empty today.

At this stage the track was well constructed. After a short ascent I reached a junction and another dilemma as I doubted the accuracy of the Walkhighlands description. It wanted me to follow the track left and descend to the burn again and then follow a track across 4 fords.  But my OS map showed it stopping well short of MSL. My map, however, does show a narrow track going to the top so I turned right at the junction.


The track was now heading across the moor, sometimes faint and sometimes disappearing completely. Along the track there are support boxes for the grouse so it is still used by shooters. There were plenty of grouse around but the season still has a few months to go for the slaughter to continue. I was now still heading upwards but veering away from the summit but have faith Des.

Eventually I ran out of track at a peat bog. Off track now and headed across the moor in a direct line for the top. The terrain was awkward patchwork heather and bog but not an issue. But had I made the right choice?

As I neared the top I stumbled across a narrow but well trodden path, was this the one on my map? The trig was soon in sight along with the turbines but this was the edge of them, I was not going into the badlands.

Diverting my eyes from looking at the turbines the view was not too bad if a bit horizontal. I could see the bright blue Firth of Forth and the Bass Rock, in sunshine or was that Leith.

To my left the Pentlands ridge was just in sight and to my right was Spartleton Hill. It was a bit chilly so didn't hang around for too long. There was the option of descending via the path heading northwards before dropping down to the Faseny Water and following it back. WH does not recommend it but it was a proper path up here and I can't imagine it being much different from my ascent.

I was only out for a short ramble so I decided to stick with what I knew and returned via my new found track. Although it too disappeared from time to time it was more there than not. Indeed, I passed a few spots where I realised that I had been ascending the rougher ground within metres of the track but did not spot it.

An enjoyable descent allowed me to study the terrain of the moor. Along with the longer views that were still in the sunshine I had good views of Spartleton and its surrounding wind farms.

Steep climb to finish


Feet wet at the burn again and now that steep ascent back to the road and it felt as steep as it looked.

Back on the road and it must be knocking off time as a few workies vans sped past.

Not the most glamorous of rambles but good enough. I enjoyed it and ticked off another high point as well as completing all the Lammermuir Sub2k’s.

Ascent: 315m

Distance: 10.66km

Time: 2.38

Wildlife: Red grouse; Blackbird; Flock of Fieldfare;

No comments:

Post a Comment