Tuesday 20 December 2022

Short and sweet.....Creag Ruadh Dalwhinnie

 Hill: Creag Ruadh (Red Cliff)

Type: Fiona/Graham

Height: 658m

There are times when the worlds collide, and events transpire to say this is really not your day.

I was heading north for a short trip when within the space of five minutes I received two calls about different relatives and hospitalisation. No choice turnaround required.

A few days later I tried to retrieve something from what was left of my trip. Typically, the main event I was heading to and now missed was ascended on a beautiful day. Now storms forecast, the joys. I was for just of a mindset to forget the trip, but the good lady persuaded me to use the last couple of days of the booking I had made.

So, an early morning start as the storms were due that afternoon. After a few hours' drive a break was required, I was looking for a short leg stretcher. Creag Ruadh was on my to-do list so on paper this fitted the bill perfectly. Another benefit was a high-level start meaning less ascent, quicker and therefore less effort. What's not to like for a mid-drive leg stretcher like this.

My original plan was to have some food at Dalwhinnie before the ascent. But as I drove north the clouds had lowered and were much darker so just on with the ramble.

This was now my 2nd ascent of Graham with the same name and there is still a 3rd out there.

There are varying options to ascend but I chose one of the most direct routes primarily as I was mid journey. Looking at the map there are some grouse shooting ATV trails that could be used but most walking would be across rough pathless heather. At this time of the year, it should be fine.

Creag Ruadh is basically a big featureless heather clad lump, not sure why it is not a top of the nearby Munro of Meall Chuaich but I don't make these lists.

Easy to miss ATV track
I found a report online and parked at a field entrance beside the A9. The start was an ATV track directly across the road, watch out for the fast traffic.

There was an immediate steep ascent of about 150m. More than enough to get my lungs blowing.

When it flattens out the ATV track contours back towards Dalwhinnie. For a longer ramble it can be followed and then a gentler gradient of ascent.

Bit boggy at times but straight up from here

Hidden butts

Drying out a bit as muirburn patches help

But with the weather front approaching I left the track and headed directly across the moor aiming for the high point. It was rough going but aided by muirburn patches and animal tracks good progress was made. Before long I was there.

A huge cairn for by Graham standards even with a built-in shelter. I suspect this is for the benefit of the grouse beaters and not us walkers. 


Good views across to the nearby Munro of Meall Chuaich. 


More impressive views looking south towards Loch Ericht and The Fara whose ridge is under the cloud. 


Looking north the Cairngorms pleasant viewing but nothing standing out, cloud too low.

Rough descent but saw all 3 hares going down

A more direct line of descent spring plenty of red grouse. Also spotted 3 different mountain hares, very nice to see. Interestingly they were all close to muirburn patches, the fresh growth tasty, I wonder.

I nearly stepped on a snare trap, used my pole to spring it and tossed it into some deep heather, my feel-good moment of the day.

Car still parked across the road

A9 south

A short but satisfying ramble, met the objectives. Headed to the Truck Stop at Newtonmore as still early enough for a brekkie roll and coffee. I have earned it. As I sat in my booth and looking out the window, the rain and wind arrived, good timing for a change.

Ascent: 346m

Distance: 4,01

Time: 1.28

Wildlife: Red Grouse; Mountain hare

No comments:

Post a Comment