Saturday 10 December 2022

WHW Inveroran - Glencoe Ski Centre

Walk: West Highland Way

Section: Inveroran - Kingshouse

After yesterdays wash out at least it was dry this morning, even though the temperature was still low and the clouds well down. So what to do with the good lady? She felt up to a small section of the West highland Way, fine with me. 

Inveroran Hotel
Off we drove to our start at Inveroran Hotel, a historic inn dating back to early 1700's. No chance of coffee and scone as yet another place that has a sign up 'only catering to residents'. I wonder what our visitors think of this as it is now so common? The next opportunity to buy food is just under 10 miles away. It really is not good enough for an area dependant on tourism and on a National walking route.


This is a straight forward section of the WHW, even the good lady could not get lost or so I thought. 'Where do we go now' was heard early on. The Black Mount Munros were covered in cloud but breaks give a glimpse into the magnificent corrie.


The road structure can be clearly seen
After the tarmac road to Forrest Lodge the route became more interesting as we were walking on a historic drovers route which was made into a harder foundation as a Parliamentary Road by Thomas Telford. We passed a small derelict quarry where I presumed the stones came from. I could imagine the navvies breaking up the rocks with their hammers, very hard graft. There are the deep depressions on either side of the road, pushed down from the weight of the many carriages of various types over the years. Trees on the other side prevented us getting any sighting of the Black Mount lodge, a private dwelling I think. At least the trees kept the wind at bay.

Good lady heads back to the car

Whilst I keep going
Then it was out into the open moor. This is one of the most exposed sections of the WHW. Today it was fine but yesterday it would have been awful. After an hour of walking the good lady turned back and I hopefully I will meet up with her at the end.

As I walked I was looking at a couple of hills when it clicked that they are a pair of Sub2k's I did last year. Different perspective is why I did not recognise them at first.

Munro Meall a' Bhuiridh comes into view

Rannoch Moor starts here
Not a lot to say about this section, grass and moor with some Glencoe corries and tops to provide interest. It is however, the start of the famous Rannoch moor. I passed a few walkers almost all foreign from the voices, most smiling. 

In the distance I saw this long moving line, my eyesight is not great but even I could tell it was a large human convoy coming my way. When I met up they were sitting on either side of the Ba bridge, most head down, no youngsters and from the few voices I heard a group of Germans. They didn't look the fittest bunch and probably will be even less happy when they reached the hotel 'residents only' at Inveroran if they were hoping for refreshments!! 

Munro of Creise just poking out behind Bhuiridh

Clouds now into Coire an Easain 
I had now completed the highest section, my last small piece of Turkish Delight the reward, before turning and contouring towards Glencoe. The wind was now stronger and colder and the clouds seemed even lower. My hopes of a clear view of the Buachaille dashed. It was there but with an atmospheric cloud covering sadly. At least I have seen these views before. It would have been nicer for the 1st timers behind me to see it in all its glory.

Stob Dearg but hidden in its shroud today
Then the good lady was spotted, not quite dashing to meet up me, more huddled in layers desperate to get to the ski centre cafĂ© for warmth and cake. Thankfully it was open!

I walked the route faster than most would so that I caught up with the good lady before she panicked. It meant that I did get a slight sweat on despite the coolness. Overall it was a good short ramble to finish what has been a less than inspiring start to the summer.

Ascent: 332m

Distance: 13.8km

Time: 2.59

Wildlife: Raven; Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Meadow Pipit; Pearl Bordered Fritillary; Large White;

No comments:

Post a Comment