Friday 19 July 2024

99 up but no ice cream yet.....Creag Dhubh (Glen Spean)

Hill: Creag Dhubh (Glen Spean) (Black cliff)

Type: Fiona

Height: 658m



My ascent today was almost a case of deja-vu. I had planned this hill one day last month but after a long drive, just as I arrived, the heavens opened and the wind was blowing a hoolie. I stepped out of the car and immediately stepped back in, no motivation, not happening.

This week it was the meteorological summer weather but it was totally unseasonable, very high cold northerly winds from the Arctic resulting in snow lying on the high tops, a distinct lack of sun and warmth. Another why do I live in this country debate as the year to date has been abysmal?

I was heading north for something else and I was literally in my bed this morning looking at forecasts before deciding to take a chance, a low level walk would be done if required.



A no rush drive, brekkie at the Green Welly meant it was about 12.30 before I reached the start at the paring area near the church and cemetery. Surprised to see that there was another fool parked up. Hillwalker or grave visitor? A well kept graveyard with a good view. The old church Cille Choirill thought to be here since the 15th century.

Now I can see the hill

But heading away from it to start at the grassy area in the distance


I headed up the grassy slopes at the carpark to get a view re where I was going before heading for the junction of fences that I had read about. This point is also a section of the parallel roads, seen on map, but it was not obvious.

Creag Dhubh is a typical Fiona. It is pathless. The going is rough boggy moorland. At lower levels all around the hill the bracken was fully in growth and in a month would restrict route options.

It is a hill where you can always see just so far but never far enough.

Aiming for the point in the middle


I was following the easiest routes that I could find, on-off animal tracks, grassy lines through the tough heather sprigs and avoiding as many boggy patches as possible.

About half way up a figure appeared over the ridge on the descent, the person from the other car? It turned out it was and also it was someone I knew, so we had a few minutes chatting, which was good for me to get a breather.

Now towards the lump on the right


It is a short walk and after about 30 minutes of ascent it started to level off and I stumbled across an ATV track which initially brought some easier walking before disappearing.

Then it shows itself


Now it was just a case of plodding on. As mentioned earlier I could see a rise which as soon as I climbed it brought another rise and so on. Not overly hard work but it gets a bit annoying, where is the top? As it turned out I didn't see it until almost on it.

Cairn & trig looking north

View west


The wind had been coming off the west and behind me so I was not as aware of it until I reached the open top section. Wow, I was now in the ring with Mike Tyson, being fully buffeted and battered, the wind trying hard to turn me around. The trig was a welcome sight and on a good day it would be a fine spot to hang around with good views. But struggling to stand I wanted away from these winds so no hanging about.

The terrain on the upper sections of the descent seemed rougher and from this perspective much wider and open. In bad weather there is no real difficulty re crags but the way the terrain lies it would be very easy to start heading north into very remote countryside.



I was glad to drop below the wild winds and enjoy the descent and the views. The very snow clad northern flanks of Aonach Mor dominate but plenty more to see in the grey skies.

Graveyard mid left & Cnap Cruinn behind

The church
There were plenty more Skylarks and Pipits rising but absolutely nothing else, a disappointing wildlife day.

Overall it was exactly what I expected so I was not disappointed, despite the negative of the wind but the positive of no rain. A good ramble that sets the legs up for tomorrow if the forecasted winds allow that to go ahead.

Ascent: 549m

Distance: 5.6km

Time: 2.18

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Skylark


No comments:

Post a Comment