Monday 15 July 2024

Three tops to get one tick.....Tarfessock South Top

Hill: Tarfessock South Top (via Shalloch on Minnoch & Tarfessock)

Type: Donald Top

Height: 610m



The Ayr OiR were out out today for a short up and down of the Corbett Shalloch on Minnoch. This is a straightforward walk but with good weather conditions I decided to join them but go a bit further and knock off the Donald Top of Tarfessock South. My planning for my summer walks had me doing this from the Kirriereoch parking area but although this was a longer walk it was too good to miss to do it today plus I would have company for part of it.



As we geared up at the Stinchar Falls parking area it was great to hear a Cuckoo full on calling. I have had two brief encounters with the bird this year but this was the first full calling experience, sadly still to see one.

Ten of us set off up the usual route to Shalloch, extremely boggy, accompanied by the singing Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, presumably mocking us as well as attracting a mate.

Final ascent to Shalloch summit


The way forward

Plucked male Wheatear

My partners coming up Tarfessock

At the cairn at the top of Shalloch five of the group decided to descend and four sad soles came with me to Tarfessock. A rough pathless descent of about 100m followed by an ascent of circa 50m found us at the top of Tarfessock. A cooler stronger breeze got up but still good viewing over this very rough and rugged landscape.

Spot the south top summit?

The crags mark the spot

Rough ground

Now for the return, Tarfessock first then Shalloch behind it

A brief lunch stop for me, longer for the others, before I went solo to Tarfessock top. Now it was unknown territory and a new section of the Awful Hand for me. From up top I could see the objective but I was surprised by how awkward the descent was. Rough ground, craggy tops to be rounded before reaching a boggy section. A trail of sorts and I was at the small cairn, better than many full Donalds I might add.

I had completed a flat walk of 15 miles yesterday so my legs were a tad weary. As such the albeit short re-ascents of Tarfessock and Shalloch were more intimidating than they should have been.

The shortest, but steepest section back up to Tarfessock was the worst, no path, tussocky ground, rounding crags, aching muscles but then I was there.


4 climbing the slopes of Shalloch

Looking ahead I could see my four companions were about two thirds of the way up Shalloch. I wish I was with them but would I catch up with them?


Clouds about to come down to my level

On the way up Shalloch I kind of lost the track and ended up just hiking straight up the straightforward but steep slopes until I reached the plateau and spotted the cairn further away than I expected but at least the terrain was flat and good going.

Now homeward bound but the descent was much more awkward than the ascent. Maybe because the ascent is slower and you are picking the route more carefully. On the descent I was rocking and rolling all over the place no consistent footing. I seemed to be plunging into boggy patch after boggy patch, it was horrible and very tiring.

At least the cuckoo was still calling, obviously no females around or not interested. At the small waterfalls a red squirrel crossed towards the trees, it was moving slowly. Delighted at my first sighting of the year but I suspect all was not well with it.

A good ramble in fine company, a new hill bagged, what's not to like.

Ascent: 845m

Distance: 17.01

Time: 5.22

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Wheatear; Cuckoo (heard); Willow Warbler (heard); Red Squirrel (1st of the year)

No comments:

Post a Comment