Sunday 3 April 2022

It was hard graft to Beinn nan Oighreag

Hill: Beinn nan Oighreag (Hill of the cloudberries)

Type: Corbett

Height: 909m

There is the odd day when you feel it is not going to be the best and today was one of them. Sometimes on solo walks I get an early feeling of doom, well not quite doom, but a slight apprehensive feeling. Today was one. I knew that this was relatively straightforward so not sure why I felt a bit off but I did and it showed. There had been Covid in the family maybe I had caught it. Hay fever definitely and lastly biorhythms, take your pick. 


It was a last minute decision with the weather window so a longer drive than I like for a walk and a later start probably contributed. It did not help that arriving at the glen a sign said closed for roadworks 2 miles on. So parked up earlier and a longer tarmac section.

This was originally measured at over 3000ft, a Munro before demotion to one of the highest Corbetts. I wanted to get it done in dry conditions as I knew there was at least one major water crossing, which could be difficult when high. 

There are some walks where you make minor errors but today I must have had half a dozen of those. It does not help that most of the walk is moorland where paths regularly come and go if they are there at all.


No climbing over that fence
After a switchback tarmac section height is gained quickly but I missed a grass turnoff and ended at a locked gate. The punishment an ascent I did not need.

Barren moorland
After that it is a very long moorland track. It is rough going even on the so called tracks. Very boggy they were. At one time railway sleepers helped cross the many burns but many are broken so this section disrupts any good walking rhythm.

1st view note the higher top 

Getting close
It is ages before I turned a final bend and the hill comes into view, when I say hill the first of many. The Munro of Meall Ghaordaidh is in constant view. It can be added on if you are fit enough.

Finally crossed the river and the ascent proper starts here

Finally almost there
Rough crossing with shortish grass higher up but the spring/winter winds were very strong and very cold. Constant buffeting even with blue skies above.

Top end of Glen Lyon with Orchy & Glencoe Munros in the distance

The ridge to nearby Meall Ghaordaidh but there is a 300m descent 1st

Tarmachan ridge snowy tops on right
A long slow slog and finally the top is reached. To be fair the views are spectacular with the snow covered tops. The other guys were hidden behind the stones. Not a place to stop for long it is very cold.

Descending with the Crianlarich Munros ahead

Missed this on the way up as I was too low, another small error

Another heavy shower passes over Glen Lochy
I retracked and it felt just as long going back. That was one hard slog and my body was really feeling it. Not my favourite ramble of the year despite the good views. Wildlife almost non existent. Hopefully just a one 'off' day.

Ascent: 845m

Distance: 18.1km

Time: 5.46

Wildlife: Sparrowhawk; Meadow Pipit; Thrush; Blue Tit; Chaffinch; 

No comments:

Post a Comment