Friday 1 April 2022

Black Mount

Hill: Black Mount

Type: Sub2k

Height: 516m

As through in the east appropriate to do a first time asacent an outlier of the Pentlands. Most of the Pentland hills lie in the Lothians or the Borders but this is the most southerly and lies in Lanarkshire, not quite as romantic sounding.

There is only one parking slot at the start and thankfully it was vacant, early rising paid off.

A nice old oak wood to start, these are solid thick trees, I wonder how old? There are a few options, some reports mention fences and cattle issues. But I followed the track to the stone dyke. I was pleased but surprised to see a small Scots Pine forest. As can be seen there has been a significant slippage taking in my proposed route so off to plan B.

I followed an ATV track for a bit before cutting up through the heather to the top section. Even a bit of snow still surviving. A straight forward tramp through the heather. Typically the clouds had lowered so no clear views ahead but it was not difficult. I spotted a fence which is not marked on the map but does take you to the trig. 

The trig has seen better days, I wonder how long it will stand before the erosion topples it?

No views and a cold wind so no hanging about. Although it is flat land towards the east, locally there are some lovely rolling hills giving pleasant views once I dropped out of the cloud. I could hear voices carrying on the wind and twice spooted shepherds on their quad bikes, dogs sitting statuesque behind them, but never close enough to get a chat.

On the descent White Hill was directly in front of me. It looked like it had something of size on its summit so it would have been poor form to not go up it as well. Worth the short effort with the prominant lump of Mendick Hill not too far away. One for another eastern visit.

Back to the car the same way. It all seemed much shorter than expected. I debated whether to go to Mendick Hill but it was back the way I had came and as I was heading home I could not be bothered. Much more enticing was visiting the Big Red Barn which I had missed on a previous trip. The freshly made chocolate and raspberry sponge with nut topping agreed that I had made the right decision. 

A worthwhile short ramble, glad I did it.



Normal route up the fence, not today





White Hill

Green track modified ascent route

Broomy Law pylons

Ascent: 402m

Distance: 5.8km    

Time: 2.01

Wildlife: Rook; Jackdaw; Raven; Red Grouse; Blackbird; Pheasant


No comments:

Post a Comment