Saturday 2 April 2022

 Hill: Meall Odhar (Dun coloured hill)

Type: Graham

Height: 656m

Lui on left, Chuirn on right
Another wander alongside the River Cononish but in totally different weather conditions. Less than 2 weeks ago it was cold and wet with the river almost in spate. Today, I was wearing just a light baselayer and getting my face skelped by the sun. Yes, it is March in Scotland, unreal.

As I wandered I spotted my 1st butterfly of the year, had to be a Peacock. There were a few flying but annoyingly they were not resting to get a photo, maybe tomorrow.


I also spotted this common frog who would have got squished by one of the mine vehicles had I not been there to slow it down and move the frog to the side.

Ben Lui

Odhar on the right of Chuirn
After a gentle ramble enjoying the views I reached my cut off point near the mine and was surprised to see 3 people crossing the field near the trees, so I would not out be alone on the hill today!!


To get to the trees there is a scrubby field with no livestock but 4 fences to cross. The largest was a deer fence with a locked gate, why when the field is not in use? The have built an access climb beside the gate but it is made of flimsy wood so not long before that gets broken. Plus when I met the other walkers they had to lift their dog over, not easy.


Reached the trees and as I suspected I could get through them here. There is a burn but the fire break was large enough. The 3 walkers + dog were resting, they took a few rests lol, but probably the way to do it in this weather.


For me it was just a wee slog up the hill. Short steps and a few short stops to recover and take in the view. Funnily legs felt way off compared to my walk 2 days ago, weird, must be an age thing.


The corrie on Ben Chuirn clearly seen

Small cairn looking north to Orchy hills
Got to the plateau and had a wander over to various stones before deciding the last lot on my left was the top, added a stone to the small cairn. Despite the heat haze restricting long distance viewing the local stuff was superb. As I snacked the tranquillity was only broken by a small commercial helicopter flying overhead and the standard raven looking for a handout, will an apple core do? Apparently so as off it went core in its beak.

There is an option of making a 360 route by descending the other side to Tyndrum via the abandoned mines but from the Tyndrum side it looks a dirty walk. There are also some dangerous mine workings if route not followed carefully.

Nicer view looking down to the winding River Cononish
So rest over and I just went back my ascent route. A good ramble and even though it is warm time for some Green Welly soup, they do make a good soup.

Ascent: 528m

Distance: 12.2km

Time: 3.46

Wildlife: Raven; Common Frog; Peacock butterfly: Meadow Pipit; Hooded Crow; Coal Tit; Blackbird;

No comments:

Post a Comment