Saturday 2 April 2022

A runt but not diminished.....Beinne na Sroine

Hill: Beinn na Sroine (Mountain of the nose)

Type: Graham

Height: 636m

Woke up feeling better but not fully up to it. After yesterdays struggles I wanted a stiff but not long walking challenge and a short drive. Sroine has been on my list for a while so time to get it off as it fits the bill perfectly.

After a hearty breakfast I was ready to start after my short drive to Glen Lochy but noticed workmen had dumped a couple of things in the only parking spot. No notices so I parked with care. 

View to Sroine but this gully no go when bracken has grown
It was a minus temperature start, condensation from my breath. I had passed on this hill a couple of times as the start meant wading through head high bracken. Thankfully today the bracken is still dormant. There is nothing fancy about this hill, a steep grassy ascent which you begin immediately. There is a faint track for a short time but after that take your own line. You are always looking up at the skyline knowing the top will not show itself until you are on it. It is surrounded by tree plantations so this is the only realistic way up. 

Looking along the ridge to Udlaidh
For the fit there is an option of a fine ridge walk from Beinn Udlaidh but you do have to negotiate some high level trees.

At one point I spot 3 red deer hinds going over the skyline. Sure as fate their heads peaked over checking I was for real before disappearing for ever.

Ben Lui range
Although there is minimal to look at going up apart from grass and tussocks there are great views looking back to the opposite hills and back to Tyndrum, Ben Lui dominating.

Loch Awe and the Cruachan Munros

Glencoe mountains in the distance
Luckily I was on the leeward side going up because when I reached the plateau an Arctic wind was baltic. Still a tramp to the trig and some really good views. Particularly down Loch Awe and the Cruachan hills. Mull can just be see. But on this side Ben Lui and associates are very close. Worth the minimal effort.

On the descent Oban train clattering through
Back the same way. As I neared the end I spotted workies lorries doing things in the parking area. Lots of banging and clanking noises. Panic, would I be trapped? When I got there they had gone, removed and added things but importantly no damage to the car.

Just what the doctor ordered I enjoyed the short ramble today.

Ascent: 466m

Distance: 3.1km

Time: 1.59

Wildlife: Red deer; Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment