Monday 24 June 2024

A misty Donald Tops Circuit down Ettrick way

Hill: White Shank (DT); Smidhope Heights (DT); West Knowe (DT); Capel Fell (D); Loch Fell (D)

Type: Donald: Donald Tops



Another day to push and test my walking fitness but when I opened the curtains expecting a nice view it was a full on shade of grey.

My plan was to pick off the two Donald Tops associated with Capel Fell.

An interesting single track drive with minimal visibility praying that I would not meet anything coming my way, luckily I didn't.

Start of walk

I knew the route up to Capel Fell so the weather was not an issue just hoping it would clear. Looking at the snaps it is amazing how a modern lens makes everything so much brighter and clearer, not quite how my eyes saw it.

Phawhope Bothy


An hours trek from the car via Phawhope Bothy, utilising the Southern Upland Way, got me to the base of Capel Fell.

Fence to Capel Fell thought it would clear but not for a while

The mist was lifting with flashes of blue sky but the top was not in sight from here. Having been up Capel Fell before I knew it was a straightforward 20-25 minute grassy slog. I was following an ATV track and a fence so no difficulty. It took the 25 minutes!!

Right turn still following the fence to Smidhope Hill

On the top of Capel I was still in the mist and much colder it was, jacket on. I followed the fence as it made a right turn heading for Smidhope. This was new territory and I had not realised how much I had descended from Capel Fell until out of the gloom a steep ascent loomed into view. As we know mist and fog exaggerates everything.

Top of Smidhope

Despite my initial misgivings it actually was not too bad and beside me the fence had changed to an impressive dry stone dyke. However on reaching the top of Smidhope there was no marker to designate the summit, not unusual for Donalds.

Top of White Shank

On return mist cleared enough to look back to Smidhope

Onward in the gloom again, once more the dyke beside me reassured that I was still on track until I reached a high point and the cloud briefly lifted, there was nothing higher ahead. So final point reached and confirmed.

View from Smidhope to Capel

In terms of distance I had walked back almost level with the bothy and it would have been straightforward to make a circular walk out of it. But I wanted the longer exercise and made my way back to Capel and back down the hill.

Snap flattens out the climb had to go left then follow fence West Knowe high point on right

This was now my dilemma. I was feeling good but legs were tiring and I knew I had one other Donald top nearby. It was a question of do I return another day or do I put in a bigger shift today? As I descended from Capel the mist lifted and I could see across to West Knowe. Decision was made. I knew I would have to ascend via the Donald of Loch Fell first which was a bit of a pain and more effort but that is the price to be paid for not bagging West Knowe first time around.

West Knowe ahead on way back I cut across once over the peat hags

Whilst descending from Capel I spotted an ATV track across the way which I was able to ascend to the fence line which then took me to Loch Fell. After that it was a case of another right turn and followed the fence to West Knowe. It was no hardship as the views were excellent despite the cold wind.

Croft Head from West Knowe

Green Lowther radar ball high point in the back centre of snap

From the summit I enjoyed the scenery even spotting the golf ball on Green Lowther on the horizon. A small flock of birds suddenly appeared on the ground and the fence. At first I thought Chaffinch but no way up here until I looked closer through the zoom of the camera and they were Common Redpoll, never seen a group so high up before. I had read that there were good numbers being spotted in Scotland this winter so delighted with that.

En route I decided I would return cross country through the gorge. A bit of a descent and reascent but worth it as saved time and distance.

Into the forest for the tramp back to the car

Back to the SUW and then an hours trek back to the car. Not another person met or even spotted in the distance and on the moors next to no birdlife.

Ascent: 801m

Distance: 18.6km

Time: 5.08

Wildlife: Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Coal Tit; Meadow Pipit; Buzzard; Curlew (heard); Common Redpoll;

No comments:

Post a Comment